Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / My well water test
paulz
# Posted: 29 Aug 2017 16:55

I took a water sample to my county health dept for a $30 test. E Coli was negative but 'Total Coliform' was positive. No amounts or further explanation or testing. I have 700 gallons of this in my tank, been using it for washing, not drinking. My well is not connected right now, just using this water up. Should I clorinate what's in the tank?

Just
# Posted: 29 Aug 2017 18:29

I would treat but not to worry most open systems will test positive.

paulz
# Posted: 29 Aug 2017 20:46

Thanks, thats a bit of a relief!

NorthRick
# Posted: 30 Aug 2017 08:39

Was the water sample straight out of the well or did you get it from the tank?

paulz
# Posted: 30 Aug 2017 10:01

From the tank. I put a half cup of bleach in when I filled it (750 gal) about a month ago. Can I add more now?

Just
# Posted: 30 Aug 2017 12:35

I do mine once a week in summer less in cool weather . You should buy a tester ,to be sure.

paulz
# Posted: 30 Aug 2017 12:52

Thanks. Do you mean the test kit with the paper strips?

Just
# Posted: 30 Aug 2017 21:44

Thats a good one.

paulz
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 10:17

Ok, added more bleach yesterday.

I boil water (from my home) for coffee (then it goes in a French press). If I boil water from my tank does it kill any remaining bacteria?

Just
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 11:10

Yes we do that all the time. we usually boil a little extra and leave it in the kettle for drinking water.Remember to always reboil kettle after adding water.

paulz
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 23:22

Sounds like the plan, thanks Just!

paulz
# Posted: 15 Sep 2017 23:50 - Edited by: paulz

Here's a good one.. So I boiled a pot of well water, made coffee for my wife and headed out the door. Didn't mention the switch.

I get back to the cabin, she's fine, we head home, I forget about it. Today on our way back to the cabin I ask how the coffee was last time. She says "I don't know, I brought it home in the thermos, you drank it this morning."

So far so good.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.