Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Propane freezer
rayyy
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 16:12

I have been looking at getting a propane chest freezer but( holycow)are they expensive. Any of you folks got any first hand experience with using one or any advice for me?

rockies
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 18:19 - Edited by: rockies

If you have access to solar power or the grid I would use a very efficient small freezer from SunDanzer. Either this size or one of their larger ones. They are about the best off grid freezers available.

http://www.sundanzer.com/product/dcr50-dcf50/

The amount of propane needed to run a freezer is too high of an ongoing expense (plus all the refilling and hauling of tanks).

If you don't already have solar I would consider adding a very small solar panel system that would also allow you to have some DC lighting.

ICC
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 19:42 - Edited by: ICC

Yeah, why propane? Solar powered electric is the way to go. I've had a German Steca freezer for about 6 years. 12/24 VDC. Very pleased with it. I used to have two propane fridges and sold them both when I changed to an LG inverter motor electric fridge (120 VAC) last year.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.