Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 12 volt Inverters in series to run on 24?
Bancroft bound
# Posted: 5 Sep 2017 17:27

I am starting slow and want to use what I have and gain some efficiencies.
Can you connect 2 -12DC to 120AC volt inverters in series and operate off a 24 volt battery system?
12 volt panels will be connected appropriately to get the 24 v.
Theoretically possible but viable???
Anyone tried it?
Or am I going to burn up another couple inverters?

TIA
Kim

ICC
# Posted: 5 Sep 2017 23:34

Never thought of ever doing that. One thing I know for certain you would have to keep the 120 VAC outputs separate. Attempting to use the 120 VAC output paralleld for more capacity will cause magic smoke to be released from one or both inverters.

Do you already own two 12 volt inverters? Do you need to have a 24 volt system? What all equipment have you got already and where do you want to end up?

Willie1959
# Posted: 6 Sep 2017 06:45

I would never try that trick but I do have an old puresine 12 volt 2000 watt inverter . I just bought the appropriate dc down converter off of ebay 24 to 12 volt, 50 amp works excellent for back up to run my computer and a few yard lights .

Cowracer
# Posted: 6 Sep 2017 09:11

My question is:

Why would you want to?

Tim

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.