Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / help with winter water supply ideas
newbie camper
# Posted: 20 Oct 2017 14:08

hello all, im a green horn who just bought a cabin in the northern climate...we want to use the cabin all year round...especially in the winter harsh months. currently we have an out house that sits above a 500 gallon concrete vault that we will pump out. we are goin to add a insinerator toiled inside for the extreme cold days where the misses may not want to venture through the feets of cold.
What we would like to do is ad a fillable bladder or tank. it is up on stilts with a metal skirting all around the bottom. My biggest concern is it not freezing from transition from tank to camp.which ever way we would go. just looking for ideas as We are extreme rookies...first camp...so we need the camping for dummies book..lol

DaveBell
# Posted: 21 Oct 2017 13:23

Quoting: newbie camper
we want to use the cabin all year round

Camping on weekends or 24/7?

Quoting: newbie camper
a cabin in the northern climate

Oregon? Maine? Canada?

To keep water from freezing bury the tank.
How many gallons is needed?
What is the Water source?
Do you have a hillside to use or is the land flat.
Your post maybe too vague to get good recommendations.
Can you post pictures?

vtbros
# Posted: 23 Oct 2017 20:26

Sorry, we do a dry camp in the winter. Carry in all our water for cooking and drinking.
Tough to do running water on a low budget in winter.

I know my friend with a well drains and blows out all his lines before he leaves.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 24 Oct 2017 08:07 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Low tech approach- Use a (hand) pitcher pump. It will suck water up from your well and then let the water drain back down to the well. Pitcher pump needs no winterizing/antifreeze, as it and supply pipe only holds water momentarily. My great grandparents lived off grid with this setup, as most farmers did way back when.

Install this pump with a sink, and use a flexible sink trap and you won't have to worry about freeze damage. I'm too lazy and forgetful to winterize...

We hand pump water and heat it on our stove. Thats makes our hot dish and shower water. We use a 12 volt pump to supply our shower.

Tractor Supply and others sell pitcher pumps.

SE Ohio

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.