Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / EarthBag Homes in Cold Places
2727rednax
# Posted: 8 Nov 2017 15:39

I have recently seen alternative building methods like earth bags. Making it easy to build a structure and place for beginners. I have a few questions about this. If one was to build a earthbag house in a desolate and rugged place, ones of cold climate, etc, is it possible to do so?places like Ontario, Montana, etc. if even considerable, what kind of foundation would I use to develop an earth bag house?

rockies
# Posted: 8 Nov 2017 19:04

The main problem with earth bag houses is moisture. Your climate may be cold but is it dry? I think that's why the vast majority of earthbag structures are built in desert climates.

I would consider using earthbags for a root cellar that wasn't attached to the main living space (and only if it was protected on the outside of the walls by waterproof sheeting.

it can be done, but there are so many other proven methods of building for cold climates I would rather go with them.

You can try this site though for more information.

http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/articles/cold.htm

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Nov 2017 21:19

I wonder if it’s possible to engineer one of these buildings. I can’t speak to your questions, but living in earthquake country I wouldn’t consider this without an engineered design.

jwb
# Posted: 16 Nov 2017 16:59

I knew of a guy in Fairbanks Alaska who built his place out of earth bags. I think he had like 5” of foam board on the outside for insulation. The thermal mass would be an advantage once you get the place to temperature, but would work against you if you’re not always keeping it warm.

rockies
# Posted: 16 Nov 2017 19:25

Since 2727rednax hasn't bothered to respond to any of the comments people have made in order to help him out I guess he wasn't really interested in earthbag construction.

If people go to the trouble of looking up info to answer your question or offer you the wisdom of their experience then at least have the courtesy to acknowledge that they made the effort.

SpyingOnMyKeystrokes
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 23:14 - Edited by: SpyingOnMyKeystrokes

Quoting: bldginsp
I wonder if it’s possible to engineer one of these buildings. I can’t speak to your questions, but living in earthquake country I wouldn’t consider this without an engineered design.

I don't think these are approved by code in all 50 states, so earthquakes could be a questionable issue. However, I've read a few books that discuss benefits of an Earthbag foundation for the structure as opposed to concrete with the saying, "go with the flow..." LOL. Not sure about that, but I think it suggests slight shifting instead of cracking with rigid concrete.

A Superadobe method uses barbed wire between courses, and before the Earthbag bricks are completely set up, rebar can be pounded, staggered, for pinning courses together. You can also use a concrete bond beam with rebar reinforcement, seems it is usually poured as the top course. These have been tested and reported to perform well above CA standards with independant testing.

Cracking might be a problem in finish plaster, but that can be reinforced and looks fairly easy to patch.

SpyingOnMyKeystrokes
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 23:27

Quoting: 2727rednax
If one was to build a earthbag house in a desolate and rugged place, ones of cold climate, etc, is it possible to do so?places like Ontario, Montana, etc.

I'm curious about this as well because of the extremely low cost involved as well as fireproof quality, and I think I recall seeing a build where the interior was left unfinished for a winter season to allow the bags extra time to cure, with regular use of a wood stove to help keep the interior air dry and continue to suck out moisture, although I may not have that quite right.

If anyone else has experience with a finished build in cold and humid areas like the northern midwest, please add some comments.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.