Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Programmable thermostat for vented wall heater
Simon
# Posted: 17 Nov 2017 21:35

I need ideas how to get our cabin warm for when we arrive!

No electricity, have empire direct vent propane wall heaters, but thermostat is not programmable to set heat based on day or time.

Is there a battery powered programmable thermostat compatable with empire direct vent propane wall heaters someone could suggest?

creeky
# Posted: 19 Nov 2017 13:34

Most people just turn the heater to low while away and then turn it up when they get back. Would be nice to be able to wifi a signal in advance. Have the cabin warm upon arrival.

Look forward to solutions here.

ICC
# Posted: 19 Nov 2017 19:37

No electricity? None at all? Does the Empire unit have a thermostat bilt in, one that is directly connected mechanically to the gas valve or does it have a remote wall mount thermostat?

northernboy
# Posted: 20 Nov 2017 15:44

Yes I have an Empire DV and I have a digital programmable thermostat. I will look tonight for the brand and post it.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Nov 2017 15:15 - Edited by: creeky

Okay. Talked to a friend with an Empire. He's using two thermostats. What he does is have a relay tied to a cell phone. He uses, lemme see my notes,

teamviewer app

He has his cell phone at home (viewer program) and a cell phone at the cottage on a cheap data plan.

then he sends a signal to a relay that switches between the two thermostats. So thermostat one is set to cool. thermostat two is set to hot.

I'm not sure that he has this working yet. But I thought others might have some ideas on how to switch the relay from a cell phone.

The cell phone also has bluetooth. With teamviewer he is able to monitor his solar output over bluetooth (victron controller). take pictures/view through the camera. even monitor the temp with an app.

kind of neat idea. certainly lots of functionality.

Edit: just did a web search. tonnes of bluetooth relays.

anybody used one?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.