Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 12V Cell Phone Boosters
cspot
# Posted: 8 Dec 2017 19:47

Anyone use any of these cell phone boosters? We have some signal at camp and can usually text and call, but it can fade in and out sometimes. Don't get data very often. Would like to get something that is 12 Volt so I can use with the solar setup.

beachman
# Posted: 9 Dec 2017 08:51

We have a Zboost cell booster that works either with a battery pack, or we have solar and an inverter that we are able to plug in the unit. We had a smaller solar system years ago with a small inverter that worked very well. The unit is a plug-in and you need 120 to run it.

razmichael
# Posted: 9 Dec 2017 17:08 - Edited by: razmichael

We have used a Wilson AG PRo model for years at the cabin. It is a 12V model so I could just wire it directly up to the 12V system. I also use a Yagi directional antenna mounted near the roof line. The models have changed completely over the years so I cannot really match what I have to the newer ones - it is dual band but only 3G capable (not LTE). Careful selecting cabling as this can really impact loss if you use cheap cables and have a longer run. Also, try to find out the band that your nearest tower/provider is using . Especially for the smaller amps, with a weak incoming signal, don't expect huge interior coverage. I mounted the interior flat antenna on the ceiling above the couch but if you wonder too far, you will lose the signal. As luck would have it, they added a new tower last year so we can get a signal in more places without the booster but still use it for heavier data and a better signal. Also keep in mind that they draw a far amount of power (naturally depends on the model) so I wired in a illuminated rocker switch outside the cabinet - we generally only turn it on when needed.

Stea
# Posted: 9 Dec 2017 22:37 - Edited by: Stea

Just did this at my yurt.

Regular 110 volt cell boosters actually run at low voltage. The one I bought is 5 volt and 1 amp. Cord plugs into 110 but cuts it to the 5 volt.

I use a 12 volt 100 watt panel to charge a 12 volt deep cycle battery. I cut the plug end off of the boosters power cord and wired in a 12 volt to 5 volt converter. Booster works perfectly and hardly uses any juice. I run the booster 24/7 for my cell enabled game /security camera to operate.

As razmichael said, use a yagi antenna but I'm in the same boat I have great signal and 4G data BUT you have to be in the yurt . Game camera is right next to the yurt so it gets enough signal to operate.

cspot
# Posted: 10 Dec 2017 21:20

Stea,

If you don't mind me asking, what brand/model did you get?

Stea
# Posted: 10 Dec 2017 21:27

Specs

http://www.lintratek.com/201706/15/743.html

Ebay listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Display....c100290.m3507

Stea
# Posted: 10 Dec 2017 21:35

EBay listing no longer valid

You need to find out what tower is available, carrier, frequency etc.. before you buy one.

cspot
# Posted: 10 Dec 2017 21:55

Thanks Stea!!

Stea
# Posted: 11 Dec 2017 10:30 - Edited by: Stea

This is thethe step down I used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXKBJI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&ps c=1

NorthRick
# Posted: 11 Dec 2017 18:27 - Edited by: NorthRick

Quoting: Stea
You need to find out what tower is available, carrier, frequency etc.. before you buy one.

We have a Wilson model. It supposedly works with almost every carrier and level of service. Can't say I've tested them all, but it works well with what we have. The model we have says it has a range limit of around 10' from the indoor antenna, and it does. You also need to pay attention to the separation of the outdoor and indoor antennas. Too close together and they interfere with each other.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.