Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Attn: creeky- sand water filters
ILFE
# Posted: 16 Jan 2018 10:54

Quoting: creeky
ILFE. The reason I was thinking about you goes back to the discussion of water filters. You posted your local design for water filtration along with links to a video. Most of us around here are using bigger, fatter sand bed filters.

One night I'm in bed thinking, unusual I know, and I realized one advantage to your taller thinner water filter was that it put the water through a deeper sand bed.

So maybe it processed less water, and did it slower. But in effect probably cleaning the water better.

Thanks. Things have changed a bit at the farm, since that post was made (01/2016). We have since expanded both our rainwater catchment areas (constructed more out buildings), and have added quite a bit more water storage, including a 1000 Liters capacity IBC tote.

Collecting the rainwater is a non-issue, nowadays. We have more than enough roof collection area, for the amount of rain we receive during rainy season. To store it, however, we could still use more storage vessels. In fact, probably another 10,000 to 15,000 Liters, would provide a lot more personal comfort for me.

Incidentally, you mentioned sand water filters. Commonly used here in Cambodia, are various types of bio-sand filters. Here is a link to probably the single best eBook regarding construction of a (small scale) bio-sand filter that I have ever read:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!As8hSuMJ-CwpnHVnHqR5i4YZ1eRg - Stored on my OneDrive cloud.

That type of filter would probably work well, for forum members who reside in remote locations.

Steve_S
# Posted: 16 Jan 2018 11:23

Excellent Article there ILIFE thanks for posting that. I can see that work pretty well and might be something for folks to have handy access to, as things progress _or_ regress depending on your particular point of view.

ILFE
# Posted: 16 Jan 2018 11:34

Quoting: Steve_S
I can see that work pretty well and might be something for folks to have handy access to

Steve, here is the complete list of resources, including the linked manual above, from The Centre for Affordable Water and Sanitation Technology (CAWST): https://1drv.ms/f/s!As8hSuMJ-CwpuWH-BhgsWC94tco4

creeky
# Posted: 16 Jan 2018 20:28

Hey ILFE. Thanks again for this. That CAWST Biosands manual is amazing.

I got so lost in all your great resources I almost forgot the noodles on the stove. But nope. El dente! (Al is a friend of mine)

ILFE
# Posted: 17 Jan 2018 02:53 - Edited by: ILFE

Quoting: creeky
Hey ILFE. Thanks again for this. That CAWST Biosands manual is amazing.

I got so lost in all your great resources I almost forgot the noodles on the stove. But nope. El dente! (Al is a friend of mine)

Quite welcome, sir.

LOL.

I hope I didn't cause you to starve, creeky.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.