Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / New W10 inverter test from creeky
creeky
# Posted: 16 Jan 2018 20:40 - Edited by: creeky

Not sure anyone is really interested.
But I just got my hands on the new W10 series inverter from Hefei Yo Power. I got a 3kw unit for testing. First impressions, its a beast. I'll have more testing later.

Right now. Its the first "hybrid" I've gotten ahold of. They don't have an MPPT solar controller yet, so I left that out. But the inverter and battery charger are complete with transfer switch. Pretty nice.

And at 30 kg not a light piece of kit. The complete opposite in fact to most of the new "DSP" inverters. Which are quite light.

So. Long story short. First test comes up with
* 30 watt idle load
on a 3kw pure sine inverter that's real good. when I felt the weight I was worried we'd be up in the 60s. But nope. Right in line with "todays" pure sine inverters.

Battery Charger is load settable. C1 to C6. So at 48v that's 250 to 1500 watts. Give or take. (5 to 30 amps)

This is ideal for folks with smaller generators. This way you can protect your generator from excessive load/gas guzzling/burn out. Hefei suggest sizing your genny at 3X the charge current. Which might be low depending on your home loads. Remember, when the genny is running its charging your batteries and running your home loads. So if you want to keep your genny running at 50% for longevity. Well you draw the line. But at least the capacity to adjust charge rate is there.

And like all new equipment that shows up on my test bed. I'm a bit enamoured now. The voltage tests out at 120v exact and 60 hz exact.

Can't wait to get it on the oscilloscope and then hit it with some load tests.

Stay tuned?
Yopower30.jpg
Yopower30.jpg

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 17 Jan 2018 01:44

Yes I will stay tuned!

I dont know much about solar, but from your posts alone I have learned quite a bit. Im sure all those times I've read your posts it'll come in handy once I find/build my cabin

Thanks!

Kamn
# Posted: 17 Jan 2018 07:39

Tuned in

bronco_ed
# Posted: 17 Jan 2018 12:14 - Edited by: bronco_ed

Do you have pricing to share?

creeky
# Posted: 17 Jan 2018 23:26

Very inexpensive. Cheap evun. 1/2 that of the big boys. And. Takes a few decades to build a history for reliability. But certainly impressive. The solar world is moving very quickly.

I wonder if its part of the reason the schneider sw is online at 1400. Yup. 1400. And that's another beast. With all the trimmings. What a great day for us off grid folks.

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Jan 2018 11:34

Hmmmm any links to specs for the particular products ? I furtled through Hefei but W10 not appearing... google finder neither...

creeky
# Posted: 26 Jan 2018 15:04

I know. The W10 is brand new. The W09 is the latest on their website. I'm looking for the spec sheet i was sent. when I find it I'll put it up on my website.

I don't know a lot about the W10. Uses 5th generation chip.

But the wave form tests are in. Perfect sine wave. Huzzah.
I also tested the charger at C2. Gets a good hum going. But it sure charged up the battery in a hurry. I didn't test the cut off point as I wasn't able to be there to monitor.

Now, with work and play obligations the testing will cease until March.

Still. i will be carrying them at bobolinksolar. and that says something? If anyone wants one. i'm trying to get them configured with MPPT controller. which would make them an "all in one." Inverter, charger, solar control.

I will also have them custom set to Lithium charge/discharge needs. Remember tho. These are lower cost than the big brands, so even with the two year warranty, lifespan is less certain. And the new Victrons are out with 5 year warranty. If 3x the price. And can be set via software to anything you might need in the future.
Btm of wave form
Btm of wave form
Top of wave form
Top of wave form

creeky
# Posted: 26 Jan 2018 15:05

And before you ask. Yes. I was too lazy to use the "probe". I just used alligator clips and the wave form is mighty big on the screen.

Kamn
# Posted: 26 Jan 2018 17:49

do these inverters have the ability to be stacked?

creeky
# Posted: 31 Jan 2018 20:23

Not that I know of. They come in huge sizes tho. The one I have is the smallest at 3kw. They prefer to ship 5. These guys build into industrial capacity. So the sky's the limit.

I will ask though.

Kamn
# Posted: 1 Feb 2018 11:02

Do you have a link for the Schneider SW at $1400??

bronco_ed
# Posted: 20 Mar 2018 15:12

Creeky,

Please send along pricing on W10

Thanks,

Ed

creeky
# Posted: 21 Mar 2018 10:26

Sorry guys. Been really busy here. Just nuts. But I have some info on my new 24v systems up. Huzzah?

My computer is crashing regularly now. Anyone else having this problem. Seems to be related to win10 upgrade but?

You can't stack the w10. The CNBOU have a helios that is stackable. There are some issues tho. Mostly with their genny charger. I am ordering a couple to test. So expect that someday in the future.

Life is good on the sunny side. Stuff to play with! Found a Focus EV pack. I haven't seen a tear down on that anywhere. Should be fun.

I may have a go at building lithium titanate battery packs. Anybody interested? Price out the door anticipated at 750/kw. BUt for a 25 year lifespan and charging to -25C ...

Here's to summer.

Bancroft bound
# Posted: 21 Mar 2018 20:05

Creeky
You might want to wipe 10 out and go back to what-ever you had before. My upgrade cost me 250 to go back to 7. Complete clean up of everything, what a mess. Crashes got more regular until No more reboot. Found out that a lot of the issues were with upgrades. If bought with new computer 10 was OK.

I enjoy reading about your test results, and checking your website.
Will be looking for a full time system in a couple years. It will need the approvals, of course as I'm in Ontario.
Just waiting for the.. Latest and Greatest !!!

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 22 Mar 2018 07:56 - Edited by: KelVarnsen

Quoting: Bancroft bound
Will be looking for a full time system in a couple years. It will need the approvals, of course as I'm in Ontario.
Just waiting for the.. Latest and Greatest !!!

I'm in the exact same boat...Ontario...approvals...waiting for latest.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Mar 2018 22:20

I have a system with Ontario approvals. I'll put it up on the website soon. Part of my spring specials. Its the Schneider SW 4048. Its also the latest and greatest. These things are nuts. I have an early install running a 1500 sq ft cottage with electric everything. Including hot water. And charging an electric car.

3kw solar. One SW. How's that for amazing. Of course he has my RedWing BMS with an 8 module PowerWing set up. Lithium rules!

Also the Victrons are said to have finished the approval process for Canada. Just waiting for the Cdn guv to release the paperwork. I was hoping the Multi would be out in 48v for canada. No such luck. Quattros are fairly $$$.

In fact, all of these are somewhat pricy for small seasonal cabins. I am a skinflint tho. Other folks find reliable solid performing web enabled decade of service giving systems like the Schneider very affordable. And who am I to argue.

Re: win10. I found a solution. I ran the dism.exe routine. The solution is on the Microsoft help site. You can google it. (windows 10 shuts down on its own 2018 dism.exe). Basically my install was corrupted by a crashed failed install. And needed to be rebuilt. Sheesh.

Anyway. 1 full day of computer use. No crashes. No cost. Huzzah.

Bancroft bound
# Posted: 23 Mar 2018 22:09

Creeky,
good you found the issue with 10. The corrupt file while install seemed my issue too, But my IT guy was talking directly to Microsoft IT and they couldn't help!
Will be keeping an eye on those Ont systems..... Will need a good system in couple years when we go full-time off grid.

creeky
# Posted: 24 Mar 2018 17:31

I have to add: re: win 10 dism.exe routine. This is like having a new computer. I can't actually believe how fast my system is now. Saved me a tonne of money. I thought I needed a replacement.

W10 inverter update. 3 months. All is fine. Huzzah.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.