Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Shurflo 4008 115V
SCSJeff
# Posted: 10 Feb 2018 15:59

Hey everyone,

I just got my Shurflo 4008 115V pump. I was planning on plugging it into one of my receptacles that I run off my inverter. At only 1A draw, I'm not concerned about overloading the circuit.

However, in reading the instructions it says it should be on a dedicated circuit. At only 1A? Why is this? Additionally, on the motor housing it says it should be fused with a 1.5A slow blow fuse.

Question: Can't I just wire in a 1.5A fuse inline with the cord and plug it in to my existing circuit?

Thanks,

Jeff

darz5150
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 00:31

I had a pump set up like you described with an inline fuse. Didn't have a problem. Did have a problem with the pump pushing more GPM than what was needed. Don't know how big your water tank is. Here's a link to another pump discussion.

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/3_6305_0.html

Atlincabin
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 00:31

I certainly don't have mine on a dedicated circuit and have had no problems. Not sure why they say this. I don't have a dedicated inline fuse either, just runs direct from one of the circuits on my inverter.

ICC
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 09:55 - Edited by: ICC

Same as with a refrigerator or furnace. A dedicated circuit is recommended, sometimes required by code, so if some other device causes the breaker to trip the refrigerator, furnace, pump, whatever will still operate. Common for mission critical things.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Feb 2018 10:50

Maybe the dedicated circuit was for another reason? Like a freezer is on a dedicated circuit for example, not because the freezer needs its own circuit, it was more of a concern of something else on the circuit causing it to trip and the frozen food all spoils in the freezer. Who knows, this pump could run a cooling system for all they know.

I would say if its 1.5 amps, just run the thing on an existing circuit.
I see ICC had the same idea as me. I think that is the reason.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 12 Feb 2018 11:26

Hey guys,

Thanks for input! I think I'll install the fuse anyway. That way if something goes wacky and it runs away it will blow the fuse instead of tripping the breaker and leaving me in the dark trying to figure out what happened

SCSJeff
# Posted: 12 Feb 2018 11:54 - Edited by: SCSJeff

darz5150...

Just read that thread you posted. Now you got me worried I bought the wrong pump... The 4008 is 3GPM. I was looking for a 100 gallon tank, but the shipping is more than 2 times the cost of the tank. So, I may end up with a 65 gallon that Tractor Supply Carries. (As I can't find anyone else local that carries the smaller sizes).

So forgive my ignorance of plumbing here... But, if I have a 2 GPM shower head, isn't that the max I can pull from the storage tank regardless of the pump's GPM? Same with a toilet flush... If the toilet is a 1.2 Gallon flush, it won't use any more than 1.2 gallons, correct?

Atlincabin
# Posted: 12 Feb 2018 12:54

Jeff,

2 gpm shower head will generally provide that flow at "normal" water pressures of 30-50 psi, which is about what the shurflo puts out. 1.2 gallon toilet will use that much each flush. Flapper valve shuts off the inflow after it refills, but if the flapper is leaky, you can go through more water. You should hear the toilet leaking if the valve is a problem.

I use the shurflo with my system (25 gallon tank) and it provides plenty of pressure and flow for a low-flow head as long as nothing else is running (like the kitchen sink or toilet) at the same time.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 12 Feb 2018 13:05

So am I correct in thinking I'm OK with the 3GPM pump and won't blow through my water storage too fast? (especially now that I'm looking at 35-40 gallons less than I originally had planned on)

Realizing my kitchen and bathroom faucets may be more of the issue with pushing all 3 GPM. Maybe I should also look at some low flow faucets as well???

Atlincabin
# Posted: 12 Feb 2018 14:13

Just don't run more than one (or maybe two) fixture at a time and you should be ok. Whether you need more storage depends on how much water you plan to use overall and how fast the water gets replenished. 65 gallons would last the two of us a week (we do mostly use an outhouse, so not a lot of flushing).

SCSJeff
# Posted: 12 Feb 2018 14:24

Cool!

Thanks Atlincabin!

If I have to fire the genny up once a day to refill, it's not the end of the world. I'm just trying to avoid that for flushing a half dozen times a night and washing hands.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.