Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood stove
<< . 1 . 2 .
littlesalmon4
# Posted: 19 Feb 2018 16:18

The stove will burn more efficiently and longer once drafted down. The initial cabin warn up requires lots of heat. More air more heat, once the building is warm you can draft down which is less heat but longer more efficient burn.

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Feb 2018 16:25

The damper on the stove is to control how much air you want going in, the chimney damper controls how much draw to allow, both work to control the flame, heat generated and the duration of burn.

That's a 1994 model stove, manual might not be easy, likely have to call century as that looks like a Century Brand.

Rickant
# Posted: 19 Feb 2018 16:36

How can you tell it is a 94?

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Feb 2018 17:03 - Edited by: Steve_S

It on the first sticker. BTW, check our bricks for cracks etc, they are cheap enough if you have to replace them. These are Good Stoves and do last quite well but I believe at that vintage, they are not EPA certified with air wash & reburn tech. If you do not see any stainless tubes running across the top just below the baffle, then it's not reburn type. (terms vary a bit).

EDIT I forgot to add, this type of stove will generate more soot & buildup because it's not a reburn type which makes a big difference.

Rickant
# Posted: 19 Feb 2018 17:06

No I didn’t see any stainless tubes

Greenland South
# Posted: 20 Feb 2018 09:32

Rickant, RE: Flue pipe key dampers. There is no clause or code requiring these devices on a wood stove. The following is a quote from the WETT training manual.
"Key Dampers
At one time, a key damper was installed on virtually every wood heating installation. The newer stoves have controlled combustion and may be installed without the use of such a damper.
There are situations such as near open water and fields and on top of hills where heavier than normal winds may cause "overdrafting" conditions. A key damper may assist in slowing down combustion and preventing an overfire situation, which may damage the wood stove or result in a chimney fire. This type of recommendation must only be completed by a certified technician who has completed a comprehensive inspection."
There is a lot of good information that is shared on this site, however some of what I read about woodstoves here is quite frankly bad advice. Go to the WETT web site and search out a technician in your area. When it comes to wood burning appliances, get your advice from a professional.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.