Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar panel security thoughts
frankpaige
# Posted: 4 Mar 2018 19:20

Other than the panels, others would not think of the cabin having a solar system. I was not going to install them on the roof anyway. While it might be a pain, wouldn't it be prudent to remove the panels between visits? Especially in the summer time? Winter time, I might have take the batteries home.

beachman
# Posted: 4 Mar 2018 20:04

We have them on the edge of the shore, about 40 ft from the cabin. I leave them up all summer. I take them down in the fall and put them back up in the spring. I take the batteries home to keep from freezing. The batteries are very heavy. Lithium is a lot lighter and from what I hear, can be left in freezing temps, as long as you don't try to charge them. Next go around, I might consider LI as I would not charge them below freezing. I keep the panels in the cabin over the winter and install on the shore in the spring. Too much wind and ice to risk leaving them out.

FishHog
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 07:47

Beachman, a fully charged Lead acid battery will not freeze and will survive the winter just fine. Just make sure they are charged first. Won't help with a security issue, but could save a lot of lugging.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 09:50

Yeah with the lead acid batteries maybe attach a cheap $10-$20 solar charger to keep them fully charged throughout the winter.

beachman
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 11:35

Yah. I guess that is the general idea but they are costly and the annoyance of taking them home is worth it for me. They probably would be OK but I am over cautious.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 7 Mar 2018 08:00

I've had more than my share of thieves wandering through, but no problems with my panels or exposed batteries. Might help that I'm a long walk from a locked gate, deters lazy burglars from taking heavy batteries. Not much of a market for used solar in my area, maybe? I've heard only one complaint on this site of stolen solar panels. Game cameras are another story...

SE Ohio

cspot
# Posted: 7 Mar 2018 19:41

To me the whole purpose of having solar panels is that I have a charged battery when I go to camp. If I had to take them in and out, I would simply just have a couple of batteries that I charged at home. So far I have had no issue with stolen panels, but knock on wood I haven't had any issues with vandals.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.