Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Charged Battery Equalization - Required?
Cdnbuyer
# Posted: 20 Mar 2018 11:54

Hello everyone.

I'm somewhat new here, although I've been a lurker on the site for quite some time. I'm hoping to draw some info from the many solar power experts in the forum.

My wife and I purchased an off-grid cabin late last year that contains a solar power system run off of 8, 6volt T16 rolls batteries configured in a 24v grid. The system uses a Trace engineering C40 controller running to a Trace engineering DR1524 inverter. It has an automatic generator cutover switch to allow an external generator to be used to charge the batteries in case not enough power is being supplied by the solar panels.

My question centers around the need to equalize the batteries. Should I be equalizing them? If so, at what interval should this be performed? monthly?, quarterly?
What process should be used to do this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ICC
# Posted: 20 Mar 2018 14:59

I would look up the user info on the Rolls batteries and go with what Rollsstates. EQ can extend the life of a lead-acid battery. EQ can also harm a lead-acid battery when done incorrectly or too often.

Note: you listed the batteries as T16... are they maybe L16? L-16 is a case size or type; never heard of a Rolls T16.

Rolls make good lead-acid batteries. Taken care of they can supply a decade of service, maybe more depending on care.

How old are they?

Yes I have an EQ regimen I observe with my lead-acid batteries.

Cdnbuyer
# Posted: 20 Mar 2018 16:36

Thanks for the info ICC. You are correct, the batteries are L16 size rather than t16.
Would you mind explaining how i could go about equalizing the batteries?

ICC
# Posted: 20 Mar 2018 17:45 - Edited by: ICC

I'm not real familiar with that inverter/charger. Do you have the user manual? If not, do a search online. You should be able to find a manual. Look at it and see if that inverter/charger has an EQ setting.

I am pretty sure the C40 controller does not have an EQ setting, but look in the manual. D/L if need be. I know you can find user manuals for all the old Trace stuff. Some of them may have the Xantrex name;Xantrex bought Trace. BTW, Trace made fine stuff, but those units are all at least 16-17 years old if they have the Trace name on them. IIRC Xantrex bought them out about 2000.

If the Trace equipment has EQ settings you are good, otherwise you need some new equipment. If you have great sun exposure and enough PV panels you can get a charge controller that has EQ ability and EQ from the sun. If not you would need a generator and either a charger that has EQ settings, or a new inverter/charger that has EQ ability.

ICC
# Posted: 20 Mar 2018 18:08 - Edited by: ICC

Rolls info re EQ

http://support.rollsbattery.com/support/solutions/folders/1399

I believe Rolls says EQ every 6 months or more often if needed because battery capacity seems to be falling (sulfation happening)

Cdnbuyer
# Posted: 20 Mar 2018 18:14

Thanks for all the info ICC. I'll dig up the manuals and review.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.