Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / new to solar
wvmechanic
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 19:00

I am ready to take the plunge into off grid living,sort of.My situation is unique I think.Our property in north central West Virginia is only 3 miles from a small town but still in the middle of nowhere.I need help desining a basic solar system to operate a fridge,freezer,led lighting,well pump and two ceiling fans.Any help is appreciated more than you know

ICC
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 19:58

what is the budget $$?

wvmechanic
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 20:30

Tight like everyones budget these days

wvmechanic
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 20:34

around 1500

wvmechanic
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 20:48

where I get confused is you get such a wide variety of different info from sites on the web about the components that people use.I dont need the system to be the most advanced on the planet.I want a decent system and I understand that means a decent investment.

ICC
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 21:32 - Edited by: ICC

For the budget amount it will be difficult to impossible to operate a fridge, freezer and well pump off solar / batteries. How deep is the well; do you know if it is or will be 120 or 240 VAC?

ICC
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 21:43

Lighting is no problem.

Motors that drive compressors such as those in fridges and freezers have a large startup surge and require large battery capacity and an inverter with enough capacity. Do you mean a fridge & freezer combination or two appliances? Do you already have it or them?

wvmechanic
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 21:50

I wanted to operate a fridge freezer combo,the well pump is shallow,120 volt.The fridge will be purchased soon need to research

wvmechanic
# Posted: 25 Mar 2018 22:17

If the budget needs increased then so be it.I just dont want a hugely oversized system.I understand that some oversizing is a good idea,something always gets added or modified

Borrego
# Posted: 26 Mar 2018 10:41

I just finished putting in a system to do lights and fridge on a medium sized (600 sf)cabin.... batteries alone were $2000, panels were another $2k....and you'll want to go high quality on this with your inverter etc..., no point in cheaping out on a project like this....

I think you're going to have to up your budget...or drop the fridge idea...

Maybe Creeky will opine....

wvmechanic
# Posted: 27 Mar 2018 13:39

thanks for the info,what do you think of assembling a system in stages

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Mar 2018 22:01

I did ..... panels first.....waited a bit and did the equipment....waited a bit and did the batteries.....
worked great!

creeky
# Posted: 28 Mar 2018 19:38

I would make sure to get recent equipment. prices this year are really good. Inverters and solar controller prices have dropped a lot. Caught me by surprise. Victron, Schneider. Probably others.

Solar panels are pricey. But ... well. they're such a small part of your system cost anyway.

Get recent tech tho. The cost of the older stuff in lost efficiency.

Too bad you're not in Ontario. I have some great low cost 24v systems that would run a fridge and pump. Starting around 1k. Good luck.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.