Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Paging Steve_S re King Genny
LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 13:15

Hey Steve, I know you are rocking a King Genny and since there are ZERO reviews on this thing anywhere I was wondering if you could field a couple questions.

Long story short, we will be adding a camper to our inventory and on occasion may want to run the AC or microwave when travelling or up at our off grid cabin. That means my beloved Yamaha EF2000is won't cut it and will be put up for sale (There is no option for a parallel kit either)

As a replacement I thought I would check out some inverter gennys with remote start and here in Canada that leaves us with exactly two options lol King and Firman. (No warranty service if I bring a Champion in from the US)

So are you still liking it? How would you rate the noise? The King 4000 is rated at 64DB at 7m vs the Yamaha which is 51.5 - 61dB. Any intel would be appreciated as you are the lone voice for King Generators in Canada haha

Kamn
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 14:03

I know you are asking about a King generator BUT have you looked at Harbor Freights inverter generators?
They seem to be pretty good and priced really well

Just a thought

Kamn
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 14:04

Here is a link

https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/inverter-generators/3500-watt-super- quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html

If I didn't already have a generator, I would be picking this up since I regularly go to the US and pick up packages at a drop box I have and the HF is only 5 minutes away

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 14:23 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

Thanks for the info Kamn but I reside north of you in Canada and sadly there are no Harbor Freight locations here. I know a number of people with those gennys and they are very happy with them.

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 14:50

Actually you can now also get the Champion Inverter Dual Fuel models in Canada (LPG & GAS) but I dunno what the pricing is but I do know that Champion is pretty good & durable NOW ... would not have said that 10 years ago when they entered the marketplace. I did see them on sale in Feb for $1200 which for a dual fueler is good !

REF
https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100396-3400-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/

King Info:
I have the King 3KW model and it's been terrific, electric start is fine and 1 pull on cord it starts Hot or -30c no difference. That model has now been replaced by a 4KW unit at the same price $1100. They are very quiet and no real issues.. oil changes can be a tad PITA in the 3K model you have to use a drain funnel but once you get the hang of it no prob. Only PEEVE is there is no hour meter (can add one easy enough) $15 e-bay with the simple wrap wire around the sparkplug wire.

I have to note... I use Synthetic Oil 0w30 after break-in on all my power equipment and that makes a big difference in general too.

King Canada 4kw Inverter Generator

Costco Canada $1099 King 4kw Inverter Genny

Kamn
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 14:59

Loonwisperer,
I'm regularly crossing the border for stuff, if you need or want one, I would be more than happy to grab one for you.
I dont know how far north you are though?

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 15:04

Thanks Steve. Glad it is still working well for you.

So noise wise, are they relatively quiet in eco mode? I am not expecting Yammy or Honda quiet but something not too far off. Not sure if there is a standard for the decibel rating on gennys so when it says 65db(a) I don't have a reference point or know if that is at full load.

Good point on the synthetic oil!

And yes, I put an hour meter on my Yamaha as soon as I bought it. I think this version of the King has one included.

Cheers!

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 15:05

Very generous offer Kamn I am in Toronto so only about 1.5 hours from NY. My concern would be getting a lemon or requiring service here. Otherwise definitely open to it.

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 15:28

In eco mode if I walk away from it (and it's in open air and not in it's doghouse) I can barely hear it from 20' away (I have sensitive hearing, Maggie can't hear it at that distance), non ecomode it's louder for sure but still not that bad.

My big Champion beasty IS loud, loud enough to give you a headache but that get minimal time only to run my big compressor, mig or other similar stuff and usually I'm making more noise than it is when I use it so...

* Doghouse. I built a Genny Doghouse on the side of my powerhouse to keep weather off & genny dry when it has to be used there (only once for an hour) That muffles the sound quite a bit more surprisingly enough.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 15:45

Very helpful. Thanks again!

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 16:26

Most Welcome, always happy to have been of some small assistance.

Kamn
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 17:09

You're probably closer than I am
Im in Whitby (for now)

Nate R
# Posted: 6 Apr 2018 20:34

Umm, there IS a parallel kit for the EF2000.....

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 8 Apr 2018 20:27 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

Quoting: Nate R
Umm, there IS a parallel kit for the EF2000.....

Umm...nope. Not in Canada for this specific model. You would need to spend an extra $150 for the EF2000IST

"Quiet, durable and convenient, the new Yamaha EF2000iST is designed for anyone seeking an ultra-portable source of electricity. The new "T" version, based on the popular EF2000iS, has the special ability to "twin" two units together. Weighing only 21 kg (46 lbs.) and featuring an extra-large handle for easy transport the EF2000iST is ready to deliver clean, quiet power wherever and whenever you want it."

Nate R
# Posted: 9 Apr 2018 10:43

Wow, I stand corrected. I didn't realize they ever made a version without the twinning ports.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 9 Apr 2018 15:35

Thanks for the update @Steve_S. Always good to see you contributing. I miss your posts on your own build. I hope you're well!

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 9 Apr 2018 20:48

I didn't realize they ever made a version without the twinning ports.

Unfortunately neither did I IMO it's ridiculous to build an identical model with just the parallel feature added. Would someone really not want that option?

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 9 Apr 2018 20:53

Quoting: Kamn
You're probably closer than I am
Im in Whitby (for now)

Haha ..considerably closer!

KinAlberta
# Posted: 9 Apr 2018 21:46

Have you checked for what you want on amazon.ca?

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 10 Apr 2018 13:53

Quoting: KinAlberta
Have you checked for what you want on amazon.ca?

Yep... and have my short list now. Just waiting for my Yamaha to sell. Cheers!

Nate R
# Posted: 10 Apr 2018 20:45

If you were closer I'd trade with you! I don't plan to ever twin my gen. Oh well.....

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 17 Apr 2018 13:08 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

If you were closer I'd trade with you! I don't plan to ever twin my gen. Oh well.....

It's the thought that counts

Anyway to put a bow on this, after comparing weight, sound levels and of course price, we ended up with this guy (3 days before an ice storm hit and knocked our power out..phew!):

Energizer eZV3200P

3 year warranty and a head office right here in Toronto who have been excellent to deal with. It's no Yamaha but seems to fit the bill for what we need going forward.
eZV2000P_main_image_.jpg
eZV2000P_main_image_.jpg
eZV2000P_main_image_.jpg
eZV2000P_main_image_.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.