Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wireless (Or otherwise) System Monitoring
bbandeddie
# Posted: 28 May 2018 15:49

Hey all,
Took delivery of an Ontario Hydro killing System from Creeky last week. Well, not really, but the cost to bring hydro to the island place was significantly more than setting up a solar system. We are already adept at running with very limited power resources, so this should be pretty sweet.
Anyway, I was asking Creeky about remote switching for the CNBOU inverter he supplied and he wandered off into an early stage, free form discussion on wireless monitoring. How did he know that's where I was going next?
Anyway, looking for thoughts, systems, successes with system monitoring and control.
Incidentally, I just saw a tour video of a Nissan ENVY Recon Camper and fell in love with the LCD control panel they install. Try as I might though, it is quite difficult to find information on these setups/systems for the consumer and DIY market.
(And yeah, while I know, intellectually, that I could achieve a monitoring super system with a Raspberry Pi, the only one I want anything to do with is the one coming out of the oven. My DIY skills do NOT trend in that direction!)

Thoughts?

bbandeddie
# Posted: 28 May 2018 15:51

You can the monitoring/control panel I'm referring to at 2:57 in this video:
URL

creeky
# Posted: 28 May 2018 18:33

I've been looking for remote wifi monitoring for awhile. Here's what I've found

Efergy Elite Wireless Electricity Monitor
Efergy Elite 4.0 Wireless Electricity Monitor
Eyedro EHEM1 Home Electricity Monitor

Note: I have a zwave compatible smartthings hub so I'm looking at:

Aeotec Home Energy Meter Gen5, Z-Wave Plus electricity use monitor.

These all look pretty cool.

My current solution is bluetooth from the Victron solar controller. And a voltage monitor on the line to the inverter. Its manual only tho. It would be nice to have wifi access for remote monitor and control.

Previously I had wifi on the Morningstar solar controller, but it was local wifi only.

I have a camera aimed at my voltage meter. So I can read the voltage and energy use remotely. Its just a crazy kludge. You know. Direct wired voltage meter read by a wifi camera over a smartthings hub. Hey. It works. Some of the time. The camera has proven less than reliable.

Wilbour
# Posted: 30 May 2018 22:36

So what if you set up a android phone at your cabin that monitors your charge controller. Then use Team Viewer to remotely access from far away.
https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Connections-From-Mobile-to-Mobile- Devices/ta-p/280

creeky
# Posted: 31 May 2018 09:37

I ordered the Aeotec. Its sitting in OG waiting for me. It will be fun to see how well it works.

My voltmeter/ammeter isn't very accurate and I never went through the calibration phase. So this will be a cleaner start. And I will calibrate this time.
ammeter
ammeter

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.