Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Freezer to Fridge Conversion, Chest vs Upright
kittysmitty
# Posted: 10 Jun 2018 06:17

Looking at a freezer to fridge conversion. My research tells me the main two advantages are one, the freezer has more insulation. And two, with a chest freezer, the cold air doesn't "fall out" every time the door is opened. If I use a upright, i guess that cancels out #2.
Has anyone do a conversion with an upright freezer and what were the results? Thanks

FishHog
# Posted: 10 Jun 2018 11:04

There have been studies done on that and once it’s full that effect is pretty minimal. I wouldn’t let that stop me from going with a vertical setup

rockies
# Posted: 10 Jun 2018 18:21

The main advantage is being able to cut your electricity usage almost in half.

https://www.newlifeonahomestead.com/convert-chest-freezer-to-fridge-solar/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002EAL58/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag =nloah-20&linkId=c4a1f00d6df86ed7164fbc0f183f2a50

SD51555
# Posted: 10 Jun 2018 19:48

My buddy just started with his. He's using it to age his pork after he butchers. So far it's working well. I almost did one for my off-grid cabin, but it takes up too much space for the cubic footage you get.

kittysmitty
# Posted: 11 Jun 2018 18:18

Hi rockies, thanks for the links. My question is directed toward a chest freezer vs an upright freezer comparison.

rockies
# Posted: 11 Jun 2018 18:29

Well, if a converted freezer uses 1/4 of the energy compared to an upright fridge, then a chest fridge uses about half the energy of a chest freezer.

ICC
# Posted: 11 Jun 2018 18:37

In my mind there is no doubt that a chest type fridge or freezer is more efficient than an upright. All I have to do is stand in front of an upright in bare feet and open the door. My feet feel the cold air spilling out. However, the difference in operating cost does not make the chest type my choice when it comes to ease of finding something in there. I have lived out of chest coolers and chest type fridges on boats and detest them, only for the inconvenience factor compared to opening a door and selecting what I want from several available shelves or door bins. No contest for me.

rockies
# Posted: 11 Jun 2018 18:49

Ah.......but convenience isn't always the primary reason for considering which type of fridge to use. In the case of most off-gridders (and the vast majority of cabin dwellers fall into that camp) then the amount of power the appliance uses is far more important.

And it's not just the fridge cost, it's the cost of the solar PV system to operate it. All those extra panels and batteries, etc needed to run a standard upright fridge/freezer combo.

If you have solar power and you're hoping to add any type of cooling appliance to your cabin than getting the one that uses the very least amount of power is your best solution, and right now that's a chest freezer converted into a fridge.

ICC
# Posted: 11 Jun 2018 19:31

To each there own, and "your mileage may differ".

I've been off grid here for quite some time and I use a french door LG inverter fridge because it is worth it to me. I also use a Mitsubishi split mini system for cooling and in winter to provide heat. Yes, the solar array is a larger than would be otherwise needed, but the panels are 1/8 the cost today compared to 10 years ago when I built the original home system.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.