Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Propane generator won't start
paulz
# Posted: 20 Jun 2018 21:02

Me again. Need to fill my water tank, I haven't used the 220v propane fueled Briggs generator since last year. Got spark but no start. I disconnected the propane hose at the carb, nothing coming out. It has this one thing, a regulator I guess, on the outside and another big round thing inside with the hose going to the carb. Gasoline engines I understand blindfolded, not this. Do these things need to be cleaned out, could they be stuck? Can I spray something in there?
0620181312_resized.j.jpg
0620181312_resized.j.jpg
0620181313_resized.j.jpg
0620181313_resized.j.jpg

darz5150
# Posted: 20 Jun 2018 22:43

I would try carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Can't hurt. It doesn't start now.
When you take off the fuel line I would also crack the propane tank open and flush out any crap that might be in the line.

ICC
# Posted: 20 Jun 2018 23:04

That is unusual. One of the big advantages to propane fuel is it does not gum up carbs. Is there really propane in the tank? If no fuel makes it out of the regulator it pretty much seems like the regulator is faulty. I assume there is a shut off valve before the regulator... can you remove the regulator in line and very gently, cautiously crack the valve open just a tad to see if propane is released? Then if propane does not exit the regulator you know the regulator is a problem. Unless you also run it on liquid gasoline from time to time there should be no blockages in the carb. I have a '56 John Deere tractor that runs on propane. It's not used much anymore but starts whenever I want it to.

Al Burton
# Posted: 20 Jun 2018 23:43

That item in the first picture is an asco safety shutoff valve. I has to be powered from somewhere to open. Trace the wires back from it. Probably find a switch of some sort. Electric start generator I presume? Is the battery dead and are you trying to pull start it? Probably needs battery power to start.

paulz
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 04:22

Thank you guys. I have a 20lb. tank plumbed into that asco valve and when unhooked from it plenty of gas comes out the line. It must be that valve, and those red wires coming from it are visible in the second photo. I don't know why it would not be working just from sitting though. Yes it's electric start, uses a car battery and spins like the dickens, even runs with a spray of starter fluid.

I have the manuals for it out at the cabin and I won't be back out there until next week, hopefully I can get it going then. Thanks again.

Nate R
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 08:17

Do you have the tank plumbed DIRECTLY to the asco valve, or is there a regulator in between?

paulz
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 09:41

Direct. When I first got the genney I hooked it up through the regulator that was on the BBQ hose I used but it would only run for a couple seconds, like it was running out of fuel. I went direct and it ran fine last year. BTW I had it sitting with the hose off and some tape over the fitting, the tape was loose when I looked at it yesterday, I suppose some spiders could have gone up in there. That part inside in the second photo must be a regulator?

Nate R
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 10:36 - Edited by: Nate R

220V Propane generators are usually set up to run on household gas pressures on the inlet. 7-11 inches of water or so. This is less than 1/2 PSI.

When you run from a tank (like a large one in a yard, or even a 20 lber), you can have over 100 PSI in the tank! You typically need a regulator to step it down. Often you need TWO. BUT, regulators (and tanks for that matter) are sized by fuel flow. A typical BBQ regulator for a 20 lb tank could flow 70,000 BTU. Your generator could need as much as 300,000! So it may have been choking for fuel with a standard grill regulator.

The regulator INSIDE the case is typcially another style, almost more of a safety shutoff, and is relying on having .5 PSI fed to it. It is NOT set up to regulate 100 PSI tank pressure down to .5

http://www.cressgasco.com/images/tank-info/Home-Propane-Diagram.gif

See the typical setup there? Regulator on the tank, and another on the house? The tank one would bring it down to 2 or 10 PSI, and the house one down to .5. You need to replicate that.

"But it worked last year"......... Yes, you got lucky. Did you replace the fuel tank? Different temperatures? The pressure inside the tank can vary based on the temperature and fuel level. Also, some versions of ASCO valves are set up that if you feed too MUCH pressure in, they will be unable to overcome that pressure and thus unable to open. It's a safety feature to keep you from feeding too much pressure in. I think it may also possible that you ruptured the diaphragm inside the shut off "regulator" inside the case (in your 2nd picture.) If you fed it tank pressure, it MAY have blown out.

This situation is similar to feeding a gravity-feed gasoline carburetor with a 50 PSI EFI fuel pump. Will it run? Probably not, but maybe.

paulz
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 12:17

Thanks Nate. It is a home standby generator https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Briggs-&-Stratton-40449-Standby-Generator/p1 0335.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsf3jnJHl2wIVBttkCh2lng-KEAQYBCABEgK0DPD_BwE

so what you say is right about the feed. I was trying it with a different tank this year. When I get to my manuals (looks like tomorrow) I will see what it says about input and report back. Really appreciate the education.

Nate R
# Posted: 21 Jun 2018 21:25

No problem, glad you read it!

Gaseous fueled engines have some key differences that are easy to overlook or not understand if you're not familiar with them. I work in an industry that deals with these all the time, so I've gotten very familiar with the pros and cons, and the ins and outs of gaseous fuels in comparison to gasoline.

We can work on a solution together here if needed, just post whatever follow up you need!

paulz
# Posted: 22 Jun 2018 15:13

Its alive! I'm at my cabin, the manual does say 7-11". I tried the bbq regulator again, no go. Then, using the safety last approach, I hooked it direct again but left the fitting loose. As the starter was turning it over I cracked it open to relieve pressure and it started. Once running I tightened the fitting and it kept going. Enough of that until I get a proper regulator. The manual does not list one but it does say 164000 btu under full load.

paulz
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 11:13

Bought a two stage regulator and it's running great! Thanks Nate! That's twice this month the cabin forum has rescued me from my own ignorance.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.