Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 115 or 220 pump??? Buying soon
Scott G
# Posted: 20 Jul 2018 13:10

Hi,
Drilled a well, adding a submersible pump. Plumber recommends a soft-start pump. I don't have exact specs but they run around 750W.

They're available in 115 or 220 versions. I'm not sure which to buy and with it being a decent amount of money I really want to get it right.

Currently my camp has a 60amp panel. 220 being sent in from genny. We'll soon be adding solar, I'm thinking a 3-4k system.

Just wondering if you can recommend the 115 or 220 version of the pump.

Thanks a million.
Scott

ICC
# Posted: 20 Jul 2018 14:11

how deep in the hole will the pump be?

Scott G
# Posted: 21 Jul 2018 07:01

Static water level is 44’. So 60??

Steve_S
# Posted: 21 Jul 2018 10:34

I have a Grundfos SQ-5 series deep well pump, 110V, soft start and it's 250' deep plus pushing another 65' to cabin. The soft start is the way to go especially if your solar powered as you do not get the big surge. I have everything set to 45PSI and have a 50 gallon pressure tank as well, never a problem in moving water.

Common misconception is that you "need" 220V but that applies to roughly 10% of homeowners unless you have a seriously deep well and maybe using a lot of water for animals etc...

For your well, a 110V soft start is more than sufficient but do not cheap out on brands, they are a royal pita to pull & replace like any in well pump.

BTW Grundfos is Higher End and well worth it.

* Some good info on them here:
http://www.stratenergy.ca/grundfos_sq.htm

https://ca.grundfos.com/products/find-product/sqe.html

creeky
# Posted: 21 Jul 2018 20:14

My 240 deep well uses one leg to help with the start surge and then pumps on the other leg.

So a 120v with soft start does the same.

Quoting: Scott G
I'm thinking a 3-4k system.

you're in 120v inverter territory.

Scott G
# Posted: 22 Jul 2018 12:15

Appreciate the insight. Thanks.

Yeah 3-4K system will cover us. 120v territory is what I figured.

So if my inverter ends up being 4K, 120v but my cabin has already been wired with a 220 60 amp Genny panel, will this be a problem? Can I use that panel? Currently only have 2 15 amp circuits, one lights, other plugs.

Scott G
# Posted: 19 Aug 2018 18:33

Ordered the Grundfos pump. Thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.