Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar System Battery shut off switch
frankpaige
# Posted: 13 Sep 2018 13:47

In reading the inverter's Manuel, they state that even in turned off and not operating, it still draws current. Has anyone used a battery disconnect switch?
Was not going to leave the battery there during winter season. But, during the spring, summer and fall. Till the temps drop dramatically.
Any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks

cspot
# Posted: 13 Sep 2018 15:45

I use this switch below. I have this hooked to my battery and then I have a wire from the switch that goes to my solar charge controller and then the other wire goes to the fuse panel which could also be your inverter. With this switch I can kill all power to my cabin and leave power the solar charge controller to keep my battery charged when I am gone. If I wanted I could just keep power to the cabin and kill the power to the charge controller. I am also able to kill power to the charge controller and the cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-1-2-Both-Off-Selector-Switches-Vehicles/dp/B071YDZRBC/r ef=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536867725&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=marine+battery+switch&psc =1

frankpaige
# Posted: 13 Sep 2018 16:29

You give the "feeling" that you leave your panel out? This has been a discussion on the home front, take it in, leave it out. Never any vandalism or thieving here, so far in four years. Guess I worried more about hail.
Thanks for the information
Frank

razmichael
# Posted: 13 Sep 2018 16:59

Just to add to cspot's info, I also use a marine three way switch. We turn it to "Both" when we arrive and "Off" when we leave so no worries about leaving anything running. I do run a security circuit off the CC load (couple of camera's, motion sensors and floods) which are left on. I also have a similar switch directly on the battery so I can isolate this as well.
Make sure you use a switch that can handle the max amps that the Inverter may use from the battery (this can be very high).
I also use a set of heavy duty toggles to allow for isolating the charge controller etc (for troubleshooting mostly). I too keep my panels out yearly to keep the batteries charged - important during our cold Canadian winters so the batteries down run down and freeze.

Wondering about your inverter drawing power when off - mine doesn't until I turn it on (I know some of the more advanced ones do "sleep" until needed but mine does not - we only turn it on when we need it as mostly we stay on 12V.
Switch
Switch
Toggles
Toggles

cspot
# Posted: 13 Sep 2018 17:31

Quoting: frankpaige
You give the "feeling" that you leave your panel out?

Yes I leave my panel out. It is attached to the side of the cabin. My battery is underneath the cabin on a platform that I made. It stays out all year including the winter. That is why I leave the switch on from the battery to the charge controller so then it keeps it topped off when we are gone. Plus with it keeping a full charge the battery won't freeze. Frankly I am not going thru the hassle of disconnecting and hauling the panel home everytime. I figure I am more likely to damage in transport than something happening to it there.

creeky
# Posted: 13 Sep 2018 20:40

Leaving your controller on to float a lead acid battery pack is a very good idea.

I've never seen an inverter that draws power when turned off. What inverter is that?

Remember to turn your inverter off at the inverter before disconnecting from the battery. There's a little soft shut down built in to most inverters. Keeps them safe.

I have shut off switches
* between the panels and the controller (dc rated circuit breakers)
* between the controller and the battery

I turn off at the inverter for safety reasons. I use a suitable fast burn fuse between the battery and the inverter.

redwolfguild
# Posted: 27 Sep 2018 15:28

I do the same as Cspot. I have one switch that disconnects all loads from the battery but I leave the Charge Controller connected to keep my battery in tip top shape.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.