Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Washing machine set up
Tanoak
# Posted: 28 Sep 2018 13:33

Hello everyone,

We live off grid in a travel trailer in a little spot we carved out in some tan oaks. We're here working on a small homestead up the road owned by an older couple. All of our water comes from their well. It gets pumped by their 220v pump through 400ft of poly pipe I ran down through the woods to our area into the 50 gallon tank built into our trailer. These 50 gallons last us a little more than a day with about two showers, dish washing, etc.

Our electricity is generated exclusively by a eu2200i honda generator. It charges two 12v deep cycle batteries attached to the trailer which we use to run our 12v appliances. 120v appliances only work when the generator is running.

To do laundry we have to walk up the road to use the older couples spare washing machine thats hooked up outside another trailer. They have to use that washer to clean bedding and towels from the airbnb they host in a small cabin. The washer is also used by guests that come through wwoof or helpx. So in order to alleviate laundry traffic we want to install our own washing machine.

My idea is to first get a 275 gallon ibc tote off Craigslist. Then I'll buy some kind of pump and a washing machine. I'll use the poly pipe we have running down from their well to fill the ibc tote. Then attach a pump to it with a hose in order to fill the washer. We don't want to have to use their 220v pump too much so thats why we want our own pump. Anyway, our pump and washer would be plugged into the 120v outlets on the outside of the trailer.

I'm looking for seasoned off grid homesteaders to tell me whether or not this sounds like a good idea. Also the part of it im unclear on is where id pump water from the tank into the washer. Any other general insight, advice, experiences would be much obliged.

creeky
# Posted: 28 Sep 2018 19:50

Get a front loader. They use very little water.

I went from a small top loader using about 30 gallons a wash/rinse to a 24" front loader and cut that to <10.

When a 50 gallon gives me 5 loads of laundry. I'm okay with that.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.