Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / I'm going to take a bath! And be warm afterward!
paulz
# Posted: 2 Oct 2018 19:05

Scored a propane heater and a tub today, $200 each. Taking them to the cabin tomorrow. The plan for the tub is to fill it from the Flojet pump and L5 heater. Think that's too much to ask?

From what I'm reading, the wall heater is not supposed to be installed under a window. Is that in case you open the window to heat the neighborhood? The only other option I have would be just above the woodstove, which would be good as it's empty wall space right now anyway. What do you think of that? In either location I have 2 foot eves 12 feet high above. (Sorry the flag is upside down, photo was taken during my wife's 50th birthday party last month and I had to take the top pins down for some reason. The wall is just studs behind it. And that's not my wife..)
1002181518a_resized..jpg
1002181518a_resized..jpg
wood.JPG
wood.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

ICC
# Posted: 2 Oct 2018 19:28 - Edited by: ICC

Wall heaters that are direct vent types cannot, should not, be placed under a window because if the window was open exhaust gases from the heater could enter the living space. That could introduce CO into the room. We use direct vent heaters to get away from the type that vent exhaust, CO, water vapor, into the living space.

There is also a possibility that heat from a heater could damage a vinyl framed window, I guess, but that could also be a problem if a window is too close to a wood stove.

The smaller the place the harder it is to find space for windows, wood stoves and propane heaters.

paulz
# Posted: 3 Oct 2018 14:26

Thanks ICC. Good point about the vinyl windows. Been doing some reading, looks like a 30,000 BTU heater is a bit much for my 300sf, 15 foot ceiling cabin. Mainly just want to heat from low 40s F to 70 in winter when I'm too beat to man the wood stove.

A problem, other than being large, or will it just heat the place quicker?

ICC
# Posted: 3 Oct 2018 14:52

If the heater is too much oversized it might be difficult to regulate the temperature. Sometimes, if too big a heater is used, the heater burner box assembly can hold so much heat that heat continues to be given even after the thermostat turns the burner off. That can be more of a problem with heaters that use heavy cast enclosures than with heaters equipped with sheet metal burner enclosures.

It could be great to use when you need a big blast to raise the temperature 30 or more degrees. For cabins that are used in winter on a part time basis it can be nice to have 2 or more heaters. Use them all when heating from from colder temps and a single smaller one once warm.

paulz
# Posted: 4 Oct 2018 16:53

Yes, use it for initial heat up, then the wood stove. Unless I get lazy..

Well I tried the above the wood stove idea. It would work but a bit funky. Then by relocating my 'kitchen' over a foot I could aqueeze it in there. The vent would be about a foot from the window.

Thanks again ICC.
1004181132.jpg
1004181132.jpg
1004181330.jpg
1004181330.jpg

Nate R
# Posted: 4 Oct 2018 18:39 - Edited by: Nate R

Paulz, it looks like your place is uninsulated? Is that the case? If so, this heater might not be too big at all. And don't forget, that's 30K BTUs INPUT. Some of that heat is lost to the direct vent outside, so these put 21,000 BTUs into the space. (The one downside of these non-electric heaters is the efficiency isn't the highest. But better than many RV furnaces!)

https://www.williamscomfortprod.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/L1109-DIRECT-VENT-FURN ACES-8-2018.pdf

paulz
# Posted: 4 Oct 2018 20:13

Thanks Nate. The ceiling and about half the walls are insulated and have cedar T&G, hope to finish this winter. Too many outside projects stll going.

There is a fan kit for this model heater, need to look into it.

Hauled the new tub out today too. Nice fixtures and feet came with it.
1004181130.jpg
1004181130.jpg

NorthRick
# Posted: 5 Oct 2018 14:52

Quoting: paulz
There is a fan kit for this model heater, need to look into it.

They make a big difference on getting the heat from the heater into the room.

paulz
# Posted: 5 Oct 2018 18:30

Thanks Rick. I'm still trying to find a spot for the heater itself. The manual says it can go up to 30" from the ceiling, which would give me back some of my precious floor space. Would putting it halfway up a wall degrade performance much? I think I've seen them in motel rooms mounted as such.

NorthRick
# Posted: 6 Oct 2018 18:21

Quoting: paulz
Would putting it halfway up a wall degrade performance much? I think I've seen them in motel rooms mounted as such.

Hot air rises. Mine is close to the floor and I still have a small fan mounted in the ceiling to push the hot air down where we are. I think what you are planning can work but you may need some active (fans) measures to distribute the heat around the cabin.

Keep in mind that I am in Alaska and cool is 20-40F, cold is 0-20F, and real cold is -20-0F, and too cold to go to the cabin is below -20F.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.