Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Using rv appliances
Princelake
# Posted: 15 Dec 2018 12:39

I was wondering if anybody has stripped down a rv and used all the appliances out of it for their cabin. Fridge, stove, hot water tank, water tank, furnace, etc.
Any concerns with putting these in a cabin? To me it seems like a good idea they are space savings and all I'd need. I'd either strip down my 26' trailer or order new rv appliances and its be a fraction the price of full size propane appliances.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Dec 2018 12:51

Cooktop is from an RV, cabinet custom built for it (just basically added one under it as it doesn't go to the floor) and the counter was cut open for it, but notched, not cut all the way back. It is a perfect fit in a tiny cabin.
flooring.jpg
flooring.jpg

xtolekbananx
# Posted: 15 Dec 2018 12:57

I salvaged an old Dometic 3 way refrigerator. I run it on propane and keep it on my porch, I did not want to cut holes for vents in walls. I know a few people who use RV cooktops and propane refrigerators.

Princelake
# Posted: 15 Dec 2018 13:02

Ya that's exactly what I was thinking for the stove! Seems simple clean and cheap.
I was thinking the same for the fridge also and hot water tank they just need to vent out,hidden in the cabinets and be creative with vinyl siding. Was also thinking taking the water holding tank hide in built in benches in the cabin that I plan to build and do what I do now and fill it with a sump pump and garden hose from the lake for showering and doing dishes.
What about an rv furnace for spring/fall when you dont want to light a fire in the wood stove?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Dec 2018 13:49

Quoting: Princelake
Ya that's exactly what I was thinking for the stove! Seems simple clean and cheap.

The nice thing about RV cooktop/ovens is the fold down top, get you back some counter space in an already limited space.

Princelake
# Posted: 15 Dec 2018 13:59

Oh exactly! Once I get it framed and enclosed the question will be do I gut my 98 26' terry trailer that I have on the property now, find a decent damaged trailer or order all the rv appliances online.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 15 Dec 2018 16:26

We have an RV fridge built into the wall and vented directly outside with the screening that would be on the outside of the trailer. It works great and saves space.

I used the small fridge, sink, 12v water pump, 5 gallon water tank and faucet from my pop up trailer and built it into my outdoor bar so I have a fridge and running water at the bar. It works great and I think the idea of using RV appliances in a small cabin is fantastic.

neckless
# Posted: 18 Dec 2018 04:20

just gutted a truck camper... going to use door, heater, windows , cupboards, table, for my new ice fishing shack thats out in front of cabin....

Cowracer
# Posted: 18 Dec 2018 10:30 - Edited by: Cowracer

Just one thing to remember...

RV Ovens are NOTORIOUS for inaccurate temps and uneven heating. What a few guys on my RV forum do is buy an 18x18 unglazed (important its unglazed) floor tile and put it in the bottom of the oven, just over the burner. It goes a long way towards keeping the heat nice and even. In an RV, you have to take it out before you travel, or it will break apart from the bouncing. Shouldn't be an issue in a stationary cabin.

I also recommend using a thermometer to figure out what temp you are really running. 350 on my Camper oven's dial is actually almost 400 degrees real-world. That'll ruin your biscuits with a quickness

Tim

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 18 Dec 2018 10:55 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

I tried using a pizza stone in my rv oven. It didn't work. I could never get the oven to stay at one set temperature.

Because the oven is so small the flame is to close to the bottom of whatever it is you are attempting to bake.
So the bottom of everything gets cooked before the top.

Thus no serious baking in a rv oven. Best for warming up frozen stuff. I'm just going to use my Webber grill if I need to bake anything. Hopefully that will work out.

I had a rv refridgerator a Dometic. It was almost brand new but I could not use it in my cabin because it was not CSA (Canadian regulations) approved.

Princelake
# Posted: 18 Dec 2018 19:07

I have the oven style in my trailer and I have never actually used it. I thought of bringing some frozen pizzas or a premade lasagna or something heated up. I dont think I'd ever actually bake in it.
Silverwaterlady why couldn't you use it cause it wasn't csa approved? Your cottage insurance?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 18 Dec 2018 21:01

Yes Princelake.
The insurance company would not insure us unless the appliances and our propane heat stove were CSA approved.
We really wanted a wood burning stove but we could not find a insurance company that would write a policy.

Princelake
# Posted: 18 Dec 2018 21:34

Silverwaterlady? Where is your cabin located? Ontario?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 19 Dec 2018 07:37

Yes.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.