Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / simple 24v solar system
creeky
# Posted: 5 Jan 2019 11:49

I sold a ski club a solar system recently.

This system has one solar panel, 1.5kwh of lithium battery storage (not seen as it is under the panel) and a 375w inverter for lights, tv, radio, device charging.

The system is in a big battery box as it is stored outdoors. It is critter proof. Well. More or less.

Note the 24v bus bars. The ski club is using 24v DC lights for the parking lot.
The solar controller and inverter are programmed so that neither the lights nor the inverter can over discharge the battery.

Should be good for a decade or two.
Ski system
Ski system

Nate R
# Posted: 5 Jan 2019 13:03 - Edited by: Nate R

Neat!
Ski club? What do you do to charge the battery below 32 degrees F? Does Victron let you tailor the charge profile to temperature or?

beachman
# Posted: 5 Jan 2019 13:24

Looks sweet. Do you need grounding with a DC system? Can't tell from the photo.

rockies
# Posted: 5 Jan 2019 18:11

Where do you put the instruction manual so people know how to use it? I would guess with employee turnover there would always be new staff who have never seen a solar power system before. Do they do regular training?

creeky
# Posted: 6 Jan 2019 12:22

There are lithium chemistries that have a wider charge/temperature range. LTO is down to -30C.

And even then, its can be about how hard you charge. Yes, That's one place programmable equipment like Victron can be useful.

Grounding is a contentious issue best approached carefully. I welcome your input on how you would bond this system.

I work with the DIY crowd. These folks have the skills to build safely. If you need detailed instructions you maybe don't have the necessary preparation for something like this. So I hesitate to be too specific. There are lots of good system builders out there. And the value proposition is there in spades.

Wilbour
# Posted: 6 Jan 2019 20:43 - Edited by: Wilbour

Quoting: rockies
Where do you put the instruction manual so people know how to use it?

Unless I am missing something, it's not that complicated

beachman
# Posted: 7 Jan 2019 10:59

Grounding/Bonding. Usually inverters are internally bonded since they are often used in vehicles or on their own. From my limited knowledge, you should not bond any system twice - but most are grounded with some sort of grounding rod or plate. I concur that this is a contentious issue and should be approached cautiously. There are previous discussions here about this. The manual is a great idea.

creeky
# Posted: 7 Jan 2019 11:20

Quoting: Wilbour
it's not that complicated

Yup. Plug your device into the inverter. Have fun.

This is a really small system. So you should be able to follow the picture to build your own. The wiring does need to be very high strand. Its expensive. But "resistance is futile."

I post the pic to inspire and help. I am writing a book. My gf thinks I should charge 19 usd for the hard copy. 9.99 for the kindle edition.

What do folks think?

Wilbour
# Posted: 8 Jan 2019 10:24

A book would be a great idea!

creeky
# Posted: 8 Jan 2019 11:24

Quoting: Wilbour
A book would be a great idea!

Okay. I'm working on it. I've been working on it for 3 years. So today I will meet with a writer and see if I can get some momentum.

Thx for the encouragement.

offgrididaho
# Posted: 8 Jan 2019 11:32

A book would be a great idea, I agree.

As far as price, just my opinion but a) those prices seem to fall in line more or less with what I've paid for other books like that (diesel maintenance etc) and b) in the end not sure how price sensitive this particular market is, either someone wants/needs the book (because of their current learning needs or because it's a well known book etc) or they don't, might as well charge a reasonable price not seriously discounted.

My 2 cents, worth less...

-- Bass

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.