Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Who is running a LARGE inverter for off grid solar?
Kamn
# Posted: 30 Jan 2019 17:37

wondering what size and make of inverters people are using for their off grid places? When I say large, Im talking 4kw and up.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Jan 2019 18:25

Schneider Electric Conext XW+ 6848 Inverter & Charger, 6.8 kW, 48 volt

Atlincabin
# Posted: 30 Jan 2019 18:31

Magnum, 4 kW inverter/charger. Working perfectly for the last 6 summers. 24V system.

creeky
# Posted: 30 Jan 2019 20:43

Building 2: one's a schneider xw+ 5548. The other's a dual 8kw Victron (16kw).
I have 2 5kw in the field running now. Both are for smaller home systems and both regret the high operating overhead. The bigger the inverter the faster the idle load seems to rise.
I have, by contrast, a mere 3kw on my home system.

Remember, when sizing your inverter: most inverters will cheerfully run 2x the capacity of the inverter on surge. So build your inverter to your loads, not your surge.

Wilbour
# Posted: 31 Jan 2019 21:21

Quoting: creeky
build your inverter to your loads, not your surge.

But as creeky and I found out, you cannot ignore the surge entirely. My 60W fridge would trip a 300w inverter because the surge was over 700w. My 500w inverter handles this surge with ease.

creeky
# Posted: 1 Feb 2019 11:14

Quoting: Wilbour
you cannot ignore the surge entirely

Kamn
# Posted: 1 Feb 2019 15:15

Thank you all for your input.

groingo
# Posted: 11 Feb 2019 20:54

I use only a 1000 surge to 2000 pure sine inverter with soft start for my fridge, problem with the inverter is it idles at 1.75 amps otherwise good, still need new batteries hopefully in spring.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.