Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Water System for 1,000 sq foot cabin
Cedar Ridge
# Posted: 5 Feb 2019 13:56

I'm designing the water system for my cabin that we will live in year round. the cabin is in the Ozarks in SW Missouri, so I will have to deal with winter temps.

I will have a kitchen sink, bathroom sink and a shower. Here are the details I was thinking.

Water Storage - Food grade 55 gallon drum. Drum will be located outside wrapped in insulation with a heat lamp near the top during winter.

Piping will be 1/2" PEX

Filters - 5-10 micron sediment filter and then into a carbon filter.

Pump - Flowjet 2.9 GPM

Hot water tank - Electric

System would run as follows

From water storage to pump to sediment filter to carbon filter and then split off. Cold to faucets, hot to water heater then to faucets.

See any issues with my plan?

I'm stuck on what style of water heater, Tank or Tankless. Suggestions? Pro's and Con's?

I've read a ton of posts but there is to much clashing info for me to make a good decison.

NorthRick
# Posted: 5 Feb 2019 16:14

You'd be better off if you could find a spot for that storage drum inside.

creeky
# Posted: 5 Feb 2019 17:21

I was going to ask. How cold is it?
I have my 50 gal. blue HDPE tanks outside. I got blue ones so if I can put them in the sun they self sterilize.

I fill indoor tanks come winter. I'm not at the camp winter's now so really its 3 season. I kept the camp going until New Years.

Do you have grid power? Off grid: tankless propane hot water is very popular. Tankless electric takes a big circuit. Not very popular.

One thing about a tank is you can add heat to it in a variety of ways (ie. solar tubes, electric, propane, I've even seen diesel, etc)

I have no experience with flojet. I have have 3 "revolution" rv pumps from shurflo. They work very nicely. Pretty quiet. Can be repaired when frozen by accident. ;)

darz5150
# Posted: 5 Feb 2019 19:07

Lots of ideas in this thread.
Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Keeping water from freezing during winter.

rockies
# Posted: 5 Feb 2019 19:30 - Edited by: rockies

It also depends on the cabin foundation. My cabin will be built on piers so the main problem was "how to protect the pipe that runs underground from the well when it finally exits the ground and goes up to the underside of the cabin floor (3 feet off the ground)".

I finally decided on a "concrete slab on grade" next to the cabin with a utility shed on top of the slab. All underground pipes come up into the shed, the water is stored, heated, cleaned and filtered and then sent through the shed's side wall into the cabin (the shed wall and cabin wall touch).

All the equipment is in one spot and no chance of exposed pipes freezing. Perhaps you could add a utility shed in a similar manner?

socceronly
# Posted: 6 Feb 2019 12:34

Creeky...

Can you explain the blue / sun / self sterilize thing?

Never heard of that before.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.