Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Splitting Wood
paulz
# Posted: 17 Feb 2019 12:52

Scored some free rounds yesterday, not enough that I want to drag my hibernating gas splitter out. I'm getting through it with the freshly sharpened 10lb. maul but looking for tips to ease my tired old back. The previous load I had split I noticed was best done by hitting parallel with the growth rings a bit away from center until the round was first split. This stuff is pretty dried and hard.
0217190941_resized.j.jpg
0217190941_resized.j.jpg

darz5150
# Posted: 17 Feb 2019 16:22

Sometimes I take a chainsaw and cut an x or starter slits to help with the maul or splitting wedge.

Fanman
# Posted: 17 Feb 2019 18:40

I've had good results with a "Chopper1" splitting axe; it has spring loaded cams in the head that force the wood apart. Sounds gimmcky, but I happened on one for free and figured I'd try it... it works great.

old243
# Posted: 18 Feb 2019 09:18

You didn't mention the type of wood, that you acquired. different species some times split differently. If it is dead elm that they appear to be . That can be a problem. I would lay the blocks down and rip them into night blocks that would fit through the door of your stove. Smaller stuff I would leave it round . It appears quite dozy and damp so pile it and don't try to burn it until it dries out. I have cut and burned lots of dead elm, a lot of the ones on my farm have been dying. Others especially maple or beech , stand them up, always split from the top , like it was in the tree. work from the outside in. Or rent or borrow a splitter. have fun old243

paulz
# Posted: 18 Feb 2019 16:19

Thanks guys, good tips. I got through this.batch but will keep in mind for next time. I do have a 10hp splitter but it's put away for winter. Plus I need the exercise says my Dr based on my cholesterol. That and cut down on the bacon.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.