Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Dehydrators vs Smokers? Storing Beef?
frankpaige
# Posted: 4 Mar 2019 11:27

Food stores seem to have an abundance of selections of packages/tins for chicken and tuna. But, beef, not so much. Thoughts went to smokers/dehydration. Wondering anyone has thoughts on which is best for the beef? And then? Storing it for not a long time. But, maybe week, 10 days? Would I seal it? Store not so airtight?
I got house fever. Need some cabin time. With all the global warming talk, I thought I would be there sooner.

Princelake
# Posted: 4 Mar 2019 12:23

I make my own beef jerky in my oven

rockies
# Posted: 4 Mar 2019 19:38

If you want to find the best canned meats go to the prepper sites. All these people do is research and try different types of survival gear, methods of survival and supplies (you may have to wade through a lot of religious and gun advocacy stuff on some sites but they do know their gear).

http://www.happypreppers.com/Meat.html

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 5 Mar 2019 08:29

I make beef jerky in my dehydrator. I have also used my smoker but prefer the results in the dehydrator. It lasts weeks and weeks easily. I usually just keep it in a ziplock bag to keep it fresh. Never had an issue with it going bad even after 3 or 4 weeks.

mojo
# Posted: 6 Mar 2019 10:11

I've made jerky in my oven and dehydrator, but I've found the best way to make a big batch is this:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/g1571/make-your-own-diy-box-fan-beef-jer ky/

frankpaige
# Posted: 6 Mar 2019 10:51

Mojo,
Who wooda thunk? That's Awesome!
Thanks
Not having the oven on for that long, having to look for smoker/dehydrator or wondering about shelf life. Though like it said, it won't last that long!

mojo
# Posted: 6 Mar 2019 11:40 - Edited by: mojo

Quoting: frankpaige
Mojo,
Who wooda thunk? That's Awesome!
Thanks
Not having the oven on for that long, having to look for smoker/dehydrator or wondering about shelf life. Though like it said, it won't last that long!

It should last just as long as any other method...it's all about drying the meat, not cooking it, regardless of the method you use. A salty brine helps preservation too.

If you don't have furnace filters lying around, chicken wire or the like laid in racks inside a cardboard box works great as well....just leave enough space between the meat strips to allow for airflow.

Another recommendation is to throw a silica packet into the bag if you're going to store in zip locks or plastic...steal it from store bought jerky or a some other dry good. Plastic bags don't breath, and will trap moisture over time and reduce your shelf life (you will eventually see water droplets form inside the bag, especially if taking in and out of the fridge....which is bad).

frankpaige
# Posted: 6 Mar 2019 19:57

Well? The Lady of the house gave the OK for this with furnace filters. Not sure if Even I want chicken wire in the house? Besides? I can reuse the filters in the furnace, can't I? 🙈
If I can get something to last two weeks, I would be ecstatic.
I have ham and chicken supply covered. Just wanted,, Where's the Beef covered.
Thanks so much

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.