Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 4kw inverter remarks?
gotama1900
# Posted: 18 Jun 2019 14:19

I'm looking at this inverter. It sounds impressive lots of really great reviews on amazon.com for fairly cheap..
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077N9N385/?coliid=I2B3VFF0PYYXBZ&colid=3OHEVMDL4BI44&psc=1& ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Jun 2019 15:38

Whats that in american dollars? At close to $1k i would be looking at the AIMES 6kw that does 120/240v and has a built in battery charger.

gotama1900
# Posted: 18 Jun 2019 15:43

That's in Canadian dollars. I emailed a i m e s and they never got back to me been a week and they wanted $181 us to ship

Steve_S
# Posted: 18 Jun 2019 15:58

AIMS is a VAR = Yiyen of China products. Several models do not export to Canada and those that do, end up costing crazy with S&H + Duties & Taxes. Even their 4Kw/120V ULC/CSA certified one won't ship here.

I also attempted contact by voice & email with AIMS and no joy, not helpful.

Solinba is a VAR adding a few things to their package. It's a lot of stuff in one box and that may not be as good as one would hope. I would be hesitant to get a unit that has the inverter, charger, solar controller all in one box, if one part fails, the rest becomes what ? Does sound good at first but... Something to seriously consider.

If you want a respectable VAR product a reasonable price, look here: https://www.sigineer.com/ and they are available online from various sources.

--- I just went though a major inverter/charger investigation as I upgraded from 3Kw to 4Kw and so a full revisit on the products (things changed in 4 yrs). In the end, I went with Samlex EVO 4024 Inverter/Charger because of it's features, functions and capabilities built in. Note that it has dual AC Input, ATS built IN, Solar Charge Controller port too and much more but your in the $1750 ish zone here in Canada

REF: https://www.samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=575

creeky
# Posted: 18 Jun 2019 16:06

Inverters like this are not really useful for off grid life. Unless you are turning them on for use with a table saw or something like that.

Low frequency inverters eat a lot of idle power. A lot. And when the rainy days come, you will really miss that 1 to 1.5kw of power. Lost. Every day for days on end.

Careful you don't oversize your inverter. I lived off grid for 5 years with a 1600/12v and then a 1200/48v. Ran fridge, microwave, induction hot plate, tv etc etc etc. Okay. Not all at once.

I upgraded the size when I started running a/c along with TV and induction cooktop in the summer. My 1200 would shut down when the fridge tried to come on.

But ... I went to a HF (high frequency) 3kw and had no more problems. And the cost was 1/2 what that beastie is.

gotama1900
# Posted: 18 Jun 2019 16:16

My biggest draw will be when the well pump comes on while I'm doing a wash in the washing machine. I also do not plan on using this system in the winter as I go to Mexico but there will be other simultaneous loads that can occur. I will not be hooked up to the grid at all so I will not usethe charging option...in 10 -15 years or so when I will have to stay home due to old age I will upgrade my inverter to whatever is best at that time. In the meantime I think this solinba inverter will work.. I will be using 24 volts off the solar panels also with 8 6 volt batteries.. by the way solar wholesale in Calgary is having a sale in 2 weeks 365 watt panels for $250 Canadian each! Also today I found out Costco has golf cart batteries for $140 each

gotama1900
# Posted: 18 Jun 2019 16:23

BTW I also have been off grid for 10 years living full-time in my motorhome with a 600-watt solar system with 4 -6 volts.. all of my heavy loads are done on high Sun days midday.. I have just a cheap 3000w modified sine inverter in my motorhome and have never had any issues yet but I'm not running a washing machine

redwolfguild
# Posted: 18 Jun 2019 19:32

Ccreeky How do you know if an inverter is a high frequency or low?

creeky
# Posted: 19 Jun 2019 08:41

redwolf: usually by the spec sheet. smile. a low frequency will be very heavy.

HF is really the direction everyone is going. Victrons new inverter will be HF.

Gotama. I have 345w panels at 220 ea. so 240 sounds expensive to me. smile. Save your money on the inverter as you don't need the charger anyway. And spend it on lithium batteries. It will make your system more efficient and will have far longer lifespan.

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Jun 2019 11:19

I suggest some reading which can clarify this point from the Engineers who do this for a living and help you make a decision for yourselves.

Inversion Methods Explained: High Frequency vs Low Frequency
https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/knowledge/high-vs-low-frequency-inverters/inversion -methods-explained-high-frequency-vs-low

CAUTION: Don’t Judge An Inverter By Its Package!
by XANTREX (pdf)

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Tech-Doctor/Universal/Tech-Universal_10_1.pdf

pros-cons-differences-low-frequency-high-frequency-inverter
https://www.sigineer.com/news/pros-cons-differences-low-frequency-high-frequency-inve rter/

What's the difference between HF(high frequency) inverter and LF(low frequency) inverter?
https://www.powerjackpowerinverter.co.uk/info/whats-the-difference-between-hfhigh-fre quency-inverter-and-lflow-frequency-inverter_i0024.html

There are trade offs and you should be aware of them.

Gotama1900, My well is 260' deep, with a Grundfos SQ5 120v-Soft Start pump at the bottom of it, it pushed to a 50 gal pressure tank and then to cabin (57 foot run). Never notice water pressure change (set to 45psi) never see a huge surge on the inverter as it stages up very nicely. Pumps today are far more efficient & better than they were even 20 years ago (as long as you stick to good quality products). I think your too concerned over the water pump point BUT you do have to meet it's needs in Wattage & Surge rating on your inverter... Pump Specs all state how much juice they need.

Let me put it this way, with my 24V, 3000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter the pump kicks on and we see a max surge of 10% on it's monitor and not a blink in the system.

BTW: As I upgraded to a bigger & more flexible inverter (Samlex EVO4024) I have my APC-3024 up for sale with the 175A DC Breaker, 300A T Fuse, the 2/0 Fine Copper Battery Cables 2x 10' batt-> breaker, plus 2x 4' breaker to Inverter/Charger and a DC Switch battery cable side to completely disconnect the batteries. IF Interested or want more details, feel free to email me at canucksis AT yahoo.ca The cable BTW is not coarse stuff, it is the fine welding cable which is worth more $ but lower resistance / less loss.

NB: I will be reposting it for sale here on the board sometime next week and then Kijiji a week later if no one is interested. Got a wee bit delayed doing the upgrade as I'm waiting for product in transit.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.