Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / New to solar with a question
mj1angier
# Posted: 19 Jun 2019 13:39

We are putting a little solar syatem on our sheds:
https://www.renogy.com/renogy-new-400-watt-12-volt-solar-premium-kit/

I also got 2:https://www.renogy.com/renogy-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery-12-volt-100ah/

What our plan use is:
Lights- 2-3 LED's 4 hrs a night
Cell charger x 2 : 8 hrs a day
Small t.v. with dvd: 3 hours a day
Small portable a/c: uses 1100 watts for 3 hrs a day

I know the battery bank is small- I can add to it.

But We also have a 3000w inverter genny that can be run at 4-5 hrs a day when we are cooling down for night/ watching a movie.

But I am thinking this is a good add: https://www.amazon.com/Victron-12-2000-80-50-120V/dp/B0053XY8NY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=V ictron+Multiplus&qid=1560964449&s=electronics&sr=1-1

If I understand it ( and lord knows I may not) this will charge battries with solar then when genny is on, kick over to it to charge and power shed.

Or am I lost, lol

AffordableDCGenerators
# Posted: 20 Jun 2019 08:14

Anything that is an inverter/charger will have a transfer switch built inside. When AC power is available, it will pass through to your AC loads. It will also use incoming AC power to charge your battery bank. When you shut the genny off, it will disconnect and continue to power your AC loads from your battery bank.

Without an AC generator, you are using your solar to recharge the bank normally.

Steve_S
# Posted: 20 Jun 2019 08:46

The Renogy kit your looking at does not include an Inverter / Charger, they list it as optional.

That system will charge & maintain your batteries when the sun is up and a small setup like that should be no problem.

Renogy also produces Inverters & Inverter/Chargers at reasonable prices as well. REF: https://www.renogy.com/products/inverters/?_bc_fsnf=1&Voltage=12V 3000 Watts / 25 Amps @ 120V is a fair bit of juice, nothing wrong with that BUT inversion takes up power and converting more then needed is waste but not that much, unless that becomes a problem.

That Victron is a great unit but pricey for your kit and somewhat overkill really. The Renogy units are about 1/2 the price...

To auto-start a generator, you will need a Relay Kit between the inverter & Generator to turn it on & turn it off, these are typically < $50

creeky
# Posted: 20 Jun 2019 09:13

The Renogy kits are starter kits. Both in quality and utility. Value. Nothing wrong with them. Nothing great about them either.

Victron is for folks who want equipment that lasts for a long time. And are building for longer time periods. Need or want more features.

One costs more, but has more utility, durability and long term value.

The extra features will pay off. Load sharing in particular, as you are using a small a/c and plan to run the genny. This undoubtedly will pay for itself in gas savings. And the ease of install/use will also pay for itself.

A bit more storage and you won't need the genny for the a/c.

I would also consider moving up to 24v. I think you will like the cost savings.

My recommendation is for 48v systems.

mj1angier
# Posted: 20 Jun 2019 11:38

Quoting: creeky

I would also consider moving up to 24v

The Rover Li 40A MPPT Charge is 12/24 and I can get the branch conectors to run the panels in 24v set up.

That would put me getting this Victron unit:
https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energy-MultiPlus-Inverter-Charger/dp/B00RPOYF50/ref=sr _1_6?keywords=Victron+Multiplus&qid=1561044336&s=electronics&sr=1-6

Is this the correct layout:
solar_set_up.jpg
solar_set_up.jpg

mj1angier
# Posted: 20 Jun 2019 11:48

I am trying to get the "heart" of the set in higher quality items and also have room to expand later- more panels and batteries.

The ac will be biggest draw to start but would like to add a smaller refrigerator later.

It's not the greatest place for solar- too many trees. But if it can charge up or top off the battries during the week, and have genny to boost it on weekends, I hope to get by. The genny can run 3-4 hrs during the day, but not at night unless it is just to hot to live, lol

creeky
# Posted: 21 Jun 2019 09:37

Your diagram looks good.

The higher your panel voltage the easier it is to run the panels further from the house. I've put panels hundreds of feet away to get good sun.

Remember the MPPT will take the higher voltage and convert it to the battery voltage with very little loss.

Good luck.

offgrididaho
# Posted: 21 Jun 2019 11:35

Have you run the air conditioning off the generator yet? Some units have high startup draws that will kill a genny even if the specs say the generator should be able to run it.

If that is the case, you don't necessarily need to go to larger generator (if it's only the startup phase that the genny can't handle) it would just be an indication to look for an inverter charger that can "assist" the generator (I know Victron makes ones that do this, unsure about the Renogy)... basically if you're running the generator through the inverter/charger and there's a draw bigger than the genny can handle the inverter charger automatically tries to draw the extra power needed from the batteries... pretty slick and a perfect application is to run items that the genny can run but can't start.

mj1angier
# Posted: 21 Jun 2019 19:25

Quoting: offgrididaho
basically if you're running the generator through the inverter/charger and there's a draw bigger than the genny can handle the inverter charger automatically tries to draw the extra power needed from the batteries.

Yes that what I like about the Victron. I have run the ac off of the genny I have, but like the extra wiggle room that inverter/ charger gives it.

Now if I can get Renogy to send me all my parts- sent me the batteries and 6 (instead of 4) panels. But no charge controller, buletooth box, cables or hardware. They are kind of dragging their feet about it.

AffordableDCGenerators
# Posted: 24 Jun 2019 19:53

Generators will benefit greatly with a soft start kit on a conventional air conditioner. If you are still shopping, look at mini splits as they are completely different in operation from a conventional, use less power, and ramp up very slowly instead of just slamming on like the older ones.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.