Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / simple solar question
kmacx5
# Posted: 22 Jun 2019 07:57

I purchased a 30 watt solar panel with a charge controller. My off grid cabin is wired like a house and when needed i use a generator to power. But i also have 6 12v LED lights which are 4 watts each and also a 12v ceiling fan, normally a fully charged battery lasts me 4-5 days or so before I have to charge the battery. I have always brought the battery home to charge and then back to the cabin next time up. So i bought the solar panel with the thought that I can hook the panel up to the charge controller and then to the battery to keep it charged and never have to bring it home again. Am i correct with my thinking, the 12v wiring has alligator clips that I connect to the battery when I get to the cabin 4 of the lights are connected to each other and have a single wall switch and the other 2 have a built in switch.

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 Jun 2019 08:33

A 30 Watt panel will effective perform a Trickle Charge to your 12V battery but won't perform like a full on charging system, so you'll have to remain aware about how low the battery goes in voltage so you don't discharge it too deeply which will shorten it's service life.

There would be no problem with hooking the panel / controller to the battery & just leaving it, it can take charging while being used.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.