Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar parts are here!
mj1angier
# Posted: 11 Aug 2019 19:51

After the aggravation with Renolgy, I put together my own solar set up. The parts all got here Friday ( battery coming from China took forever...)

The only mishap was with the battery (of course). Some where in shipping I looks like it was tossed by a gorllia. The plastic housing on one coner was cracked. Dealer said if it will still work, they would credit 1/2 back to me and send a new case.

So I pulled everything out and hooked it up to test.

Battery seams to be fine. Out of the box it was reading 26.6 volts. I ran it down to 24 volts and then put solar panel on it and charged back up to 26.4 before the sun set. I did not try the inverter/ charger on a/c yet, I have an unused RV power cord I am going to make my feed line but it's at cabin.

I really like the Victron MPPT controller. I wish I had went with all of their products...

It will be a while before I can get up to the cabin to mount them. Climbing on the roof is not something I want to do up there by myself.

Just a few photos of it rigged up in the carport:
battery.jpg
battery.jpg
controler.jpg
controler.jpg
inverter.jpg
inverter.jpg

mj1angier
# Posted: 11 Aug 2019 19:52

Few more
inverter_2.jpg
inverter_2.jpg
panel.jpg
panel.jpg
panel_label.jpg
panel_label.jpg
readout.jpg
readout.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 11 Aug 2019 21:18 - Edited by: creeky

mj1angier
# Posted: 7 Sep 2019 14:00

Got most of the parts mounted and tied into shed. Still have to mount panels and run the wire for them.I plan to build a metal mesh cabinet to protect it but still lets air in.
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg

justinbowser
# Posted: 8 Sep 2019 00:07

Quoting: mj1angier
Climbing on the roof is not something I want to do up there by myself.

Looking good. I hear you about climbing, that's why I went with a ground mount on my upgrade.
All_Done_6.jpg
All_Done_6.jpg

mj1angier
# Posted: 8 Sep 2019 09:20

Quoting: justinbowser
Looking good. I hear you about climbing, that's why I went with a ground mount on my upgrade.
All_Done_6.jpg
All_Done_6.jpg

I have thought about doing something like that. I am a little worried that it will make it too easy for someone to steal the panels....but I guess they could get them off the roof just about as quick

neckless
# Posted: 8 Sep 2019 09:27

seems like every buddy in my neighbour hood mounted on roof just didnt make sense to me ... i found a old dish mount for those big dishes back in 80s added a couple of 2x6s and presto dish mount that u can rotate and servicing and adding panels is a breeze and was FREE .....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.