Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Here come the cicadas!
trollbridge
# Posted: 7 May 2013 10:57

Get ready all of you on the east coast.......they're coming!!!

Pretty interesting life cycle these have. 17 years in the "underground" and then they come out by the billions looking for one thing-sex. Bug experts say the sounds of the calling males will be deafening...much like a rock concert. The adults will mate, then die. The young will go back 'downunder' and eat tree roots for another 15 years or so and then repeat.

Hmmm...17 years underground unsupervised by adults and then the big breakout...bugs are weird!

Dillio187
# Posted: 7 May 2013 12:18

glad we really don't see them here at all.

MJW
# Posted: 7 May 2013 12:32

I had just moved to the GA area 17 years or so back when they last came out.

I can remember riding home late at night after I would get off from work with my windows rolled down. Even on the interstate cruising at 60 MPH they were so loud it was unbelievable.

At the time, I didn't know what that sound was so I asked the locals what was making that insane noise and that was when I learned of the cicada.

Nature is fascinating.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 7 May 2013 13:15

Quoting: trollbridge
east coast.......they're coming!!!

great black flies in 3 weeks...and now these.....gezzzzzzzzzzzzz

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 May 2013 22:53

Lol...600 cicadas to every one person! And those bulging red eyes...I'm with Dillio on that!

exsailor
# Posted: 8 May 2013 14:34

The first year I moved to Virginia and bought a house, they cicadas came out. I hadn't heard anything like it. To me it sounded like a B movie soundtrack for flying saucers. My nieghbor laughed when Iasked what was making the noise. I am looking forward to it.

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 May 2013 12:37

You should record it and link it for us ( not that I know how to do that!).

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.