Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / moon garden
cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Apr 2014 18:45

once i get to my woods and live there.i want to start a moon garden.it is all white and light colored flowers.the moon reflects onto the white flowers and there is your beautiful moon garden.white roses and daisies,white lillies,and more.

is there anything special u wish to do n your woods?

naturelover66
# Posted: 8 Apr 2014 19:22 - Edited by: naturelover66

I plan to make a natural path...winding... Maybe three get wide thru the woods to a small pond... Around the pond I will plant lots of beautiful plants and flowers... I plan to have a solar fountain, bird feeders and a beautiful old wooden bench... a place to sit and listen to nature. A place to let the worries of the world fade away... ��

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Apr 2014 20:21

naturelove66-that sounds so very beautiful.
i have to find flowers that can be frozen most of the year.
what about snowball trees.lol-just kidding.

will your pond have koi in it??

naturelover66
# Posted: 8 Apr 2014 20:25

I don't think so... I'm not really a fan of Koi fish. . Your Moon garden idea I love though.

hattie
# Posted: 8 Apr 2014 20:39

These gardens sound beautiful! I have heard of moon gardens before. They are supposed to be magical! I hope you will post photos of it when you do it cabingal3.

naturelover66 - winding paths are so peaceful. I love the idea of a solar fountain.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Apr 2014 22:29

well gals.i may have to do this in town.
i was looking up white flowered plants that can grow in the high desert.i dont know .i will have to do some research on this one.
i remember this one place i worked at.each nite there was a full moon before i had to go into work.i would go to the koi pond and look at the koi's.they were so pretty.
i dont know what a solar fountain is
but it must be really lovely i am sure.
if i do the moon garden in town.i will post.i think the one in the woods might have to be white silk flowers.hee hee.

hattie
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 00:39

Quoting: cabingal3
.i think the one in the woods might have to be white silk flowers.hee hee.

It is a good thing that you looked up the climate for the flowers before you bought them all.

You could put in a fairy village. I love ours. It has been put away for the winter and I can't wait to set it up again. Our little fairies have worked their way into our house now. We have a fairy door in the wall between the kitchen and living room and a hobbit house in the laundry room. Oh, and Tink left her shadow on the wall in the laundry room (along with pink footprints).

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 02:33

thats so cute.my sister told her grandson that she had fairies in her garden.he said mimi are they real or pretend?she said real.he says oh.then he asked if they were boys or girls.she said both.so he pondered on that a while.she ordered a fairy door which u speak of hattie.shes gonna put it outside on the fence.he cant see to the other side of the fence.i love it.
i could do this.
i have a memory of when we lived on a different land we owned once.we had to go travel from the top of a hill on an old road to get to it.
one nite the moon was soo huge and it looked like u could touch it and it was wild flower time.the moon was so wildly bright u could see all the colors of the wildflowers.at least i can walk in the moon to the outhouse and see when its like that out.pretty wonderful.

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 03:15

speaking of moons...
full pink moon
full pink moon

ErinsMom
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 04:54

In town, you can start with a simple "moonflower". Its a annual vine; beautiful blooms that only open at night.

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 14:43

Variegated Hosta would look beautiful in a moon garden and they are extremely tolerant of extreme weather, from what I have noticed. They also prefer the shade, although I've seen them thrive even in direct sunlight.

Makes me dream of warm summer nights.........

naturelover66
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 19:00

Yes I planted variegated hostas up at the cabin...the deer love them. And I did have moon flowers at another house ... U can buy the seeds Cabingal3... white daisies would look nice too I bet.

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 21:05

i can gals.thanks so much for the good tips on the moon garden.
i will get up there and live and see what some have planted.i know most plant things in flower beds with wire over the boxes.that would be fine.now i am keeping my eyes out on the one couple up there that has a garden.
the seeds is a good idea.thank u ladies.

ladyslipper
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 12:56

I created a tiny fairy garden under a spruce tree. The tree has a small indentation at the base of it's trunk which was the perfect spot for a fairy door I also painted some thumbtacks to look like tiny mushrooms that I scattered on old branches.

creeky
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 14:55

That moon garden sounds wonderful.
You might add Nicotiana or flowering tobacco to your flowers list. You can find white varieties. And the blooms open in the early evening giving off a lovely perfume for those magical nights.

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 15:52

Quoting: creeky
That moon garden sounds wonderful.
You might add Nicotiana or flowering tobacco to your flowers list. You can find white varieties. And the blooms open in the early evening giving off a lovely perfume for those magical nights.

thanks creeky.this sounds so wonderful.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 19:19

Oh, I love that moon garden description, cabingal! I'll have to look into that, too! Thanks for posting about this!

I'm expecting that starting a mini-farm will keep me busy for a while so I won't be doing much ornamental stuff initially. I'm planning to grow vegetables and raise chickens and guinea fowl. I'd love to have a piggy or two but I'll have to do some more research on that since I know nothing about that, lol!

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 05:00

your welcomed Julie2Oregon.
cant wait for us to get our garden going also.
cant wait to see what we come up with.
i am gonna get my seaberries planted first thing.then nut trees and fruit trees.gardening in veggies.
maybe the moon garden will happen as i go.wishing u good luck on all your ventures.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 08:02

cabingal3,
What's a "seaberry"?

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 14:02

http://uncommonfruit.cias.wisc.edu/seaberry-sea-buckthorn/
it is a berry that is full of vit c. and a and i think e.they use it in lotions for quick healing.
its got more vit c than oranges.
i want it to be our fruit and vit c up in the mountains.
i am so excited to plant this.to dream of it and get to grow it and harvest it.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 17:09

Cabingal,
Have you looked into what sorts of native wild berries and fruit grow on the mountains in those parts? I swear I read somewhere that there are wild plums that are good and some berries. I know that the Juniper trees produce berries that are used for gin! (hiccup!)

I'll be a bit farther south than you and the climate is classified as Mediterranean. I'm wondering if figs and grapes would do well! I know that certain grapes don't mind snow at all. Our neighbors in Pennsylvania grew Concord grapes and it snowed a LOT!

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 17:49 - Edited by: cabingal3

hmm Julie2Oregon.we are in an odd little pocket where we have one month of no frost.
and thats not sure.
we have red wild currants all over.we have teeny wild strawberries.
i read this high desert blog from that area and they say that the seaberry could raise the next town out of poverty cause this seaberry can grow so good there.we are in that area.
rhubarb grows good.blueberries need help there.
our neighbors are trying all kinds of stuff.
they are trying grapes and pecan trees even.i guess there is a pecan tree that is for colder climates.
i am from the south.when our neighbor said pecan trees .i was like uh oh.he is gonna be sad.
we shall see.we have to get up there.one thing that grows well in the town the other way is mushrooms.the mushroom camps set up and all the mushroomers come and pick.u have to have a permit and i guess u can make alot of money.
i have only seen a couple of mushrooms on our property.
its a land where if the snow doesnt get u.if the trees dont fall over and crush u..u are lucky.
i always love to forage for all kinds of wild plants.
the neighbors said there is dandelions.i have not seen them.
they told me that more toward Klamath falls-thts 60 miles away...there is a place where ever kind of berry is there to freely pick.so we may head there one day in summer and see whats happening there.
yes.i know of the juniper tree.we arent into that much at all but i will tell u i am saving recipes cause i want to make my own homemade mead.
i know we shall probably have alot of pine needle tea though.hee hee.

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 17:53

Julie2Oregon.here is what i am going by...
http://chiloquin.com/services-organizations/organizations/gardening/

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 21:05

OK, see, I'll be near Klamath Falls. You can come and visit!

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jan 2015 09:36

for sure Julie2Oregon.
we are on the meadow of mt.scott.
near the rim of crater lake.about 5000 ft.
mt.scott is over 8000 ft.
we surely can.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Jan 2015 16:24

I'll be on Bly Mountain, off Highway 140. About 4,500 elevation. My land abuts BLM forest.

If I have wild berries and plums on my land, you're welcome to come and pick. We can make jam!

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jan 2015 17:39

oh Julie2Oregon.lucky u to be ajoining BLM land.we use to be across the road from that kind of land and it was wonderful.sort of like it was yours.
sounds good the plums,berries and jams.
i am busy now packing up our household goods.
its taken a week or more and i finally got all my books packed.
got all the drawers emptied.got the knick knacks all packed.waiting on the shipping container.
we got a free big greenhouse.we need to go take it apart .dont know how we shall haul that.
then got to dung out our house and get it up for sale.
all a process.takes time but got to keep going ,moving forward.cant wait to be out on my land.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.