Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / what kind of bird ?
cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 17:11

we have a big octagon window at our cabin-its uncovered.
well we have had birds hit the window and die.
here is the latest.
i think i am going to crochet a bright cover for the window so birds will not think its the tunnel to somewhere else,it the window and bite the dust.
sure a pretty bird though.
dead bird
dead bird

Just
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 17:18 - Edited by: Just

Baltimore Oriole

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 19:57

oh my goodness.a friend i know who lives in oregon-sent me this link.
Oh my they sure look so alike.thank u.
u were so close.i did not even know what a baltimore oriole looked like.
they are similar.
very much so.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/black-headed_grosbeak/id

naturelover66
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 21:05

Yeah, he's a Baltimore oriole. Poor little guy.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 21:40

This can happen when you are not at the cabin. A bird can break a pane of glass you would be in for quite a mess upon your return. This is why many cabin owner install shutters.

Gary O
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 22:16

Yeah, I'm learnin' bird identification the hard way.
Didn't know a Grosbeak had so many calls.
One less 'whazzat' species for me.

Up to a few seconds ago, the only Baltimore Orioles I knew of was Cal Ripken Jr and Jim Palmer.
Didn't know there were actual 'Baltimore' Orioles that weren't baseball players............

When I was a kid, up in the hills outta Scappoose, my folks got enough nickels together to put in a picture window ('so we can see out, for cryin' out loud').
Heh, our cat was grateful....and fat.
She got purdy good at knowin' what 'bonk' meant, and a whole lot less what squeak was.

spoofer
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 22:42

It is not an Oriole. It's a Grosbeak!

Just
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 23:08

eastern Oriole is close but I think its a western grosbeak , we have a pair of rose breasted grosbeak at our cabin
eastern oriole
eastern oriole
eastern rose breasted grosbeak
eastern rose breasted grosbeak

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 23:21

i dont know birds.
i know an ostrich,a chicken,a robin and a bluejay.
never saw a cardinal.i dont think we have them in oregon.
i never knew this bird i shared.
it is pretty.i myself almost thought it was a robin.
i asked all over to my friends on the web and an oregon girl told me what it was.
the boston oriole is so beautiful .wow.
well i never knew this either.
someone told me that u can purchase black hawk stickers to put on the window so the birds see this and stay away.
so we maybe will do this.
i sure hate it bit the dust cause it was so beautiful.

hattie
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 23:24

It looks like an oriole to me. Grossbeaks are more yellow than orange (at least out here in BC, Canada).

To help avoid window collisions, you can tape a black silhouette of a hawk on your windows.

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Jun 2014 00:18

thanks so much Just and everyone.

creeky
# Posted: 10 Jun 2014 10:00

I use "stabilimentum". Basically the same device a spider uses to keep birds from flying through their webs.

Take a white marker or clear/white caulk works well. Make a zig zag mark in the middle of the window. This alerts the bird to avoid flying through the area. It doesn't have to be huge. we've protected large windows with a stabilimentum the size of my outstretched hand.

works great.

another tip if you're around when you hear the strike: small birds will go into shock. If you go out and poke them. Get them going again. You can often reset their brains and after a short period they will recover and fly away.

I've used this technique many many times and it's successful in the majority of cases. My best success was a Kingfisher. He/she stayed in the area and i could always tell it was him/her by the crooked neck.

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Jun 2014 12:57

thank u so much creeky.great helpful info.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 10 Jun 2014 18:54

We've had birds hit windows too. A rose breasted grosbeak hit once and we thought it was dead. But we've had luck putting stunned birds in a covered shoebox and they remarkably recover and fly off.

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Jun 2014 20:11

oh wow.
we shall try this Smawgunner.thanks to creeky and u.we will check and make not to assume the birds are dead.thanks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.