Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Pond = snakes in pond????
optimistic
# Posted: 22 Jul 2014 21:25

We had a family reunion in PA this weekend. They had a large lake/pond with a "sand beach" area that you can get into and swim. My wife and I loved swimming in the pond. It was very refreshing.

There were about 50 people there and then... this snake (3ft) just swam across on top of the water near all of us. I was shocked. I cannot stand snakes! They really terrify me!

We always wanted to make a pond on our land in the future... Something in the neighborhood of 75ft x 75ft.... But my cabin is in the middle of the woods. I only saw two snakes, small grater snakes, while I was there but I know you can encounter copperheads and timber rattle snakes also..

Is it possible to keep a pond and not worry about encountering a snake in/around it?

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Jul 2014 23:19

I bet they'll leave you alone if you leave them alone. They're looking for mice and frogs, not people.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Jul 2014 00:14

Grew up on a lake and snakes would swim across it all the time. They eat smaller critters you dont like.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 23 Jul 2014 08:25

Gotta' agree with everyone here, Opti. If you're gonna' have a pond, your going to have snakes. Those are fertile hunting grounds, for the sorts of things snakes like to feed on. The good news is people aren't on that list, so any snake you encounter will just as likely get away from you about as fast as you try to get away from them.

IMHO the best things you can do to avoid an unfortunate altercation with a snake around a pond is watch where you step. While you may see snakes in the water, that is often from a very safe distance so don't fret those and simply enjoy watching them. Where you are most likely to have a close encounter is on the path around the pond.
So I suggest keeping the path very clear and cut back on both sides, and several feet wide if possible (I like at least 6'). Keep a close eye on the path in front of you as you walk, and a walking stick is great for gently encouraging any you meet to hurry on their way (don't kill them, they are beneficial).

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Jul 2014 08:38 - Edited by: bldginsp

You can grade the shore area around the pond so that it is easy to mow with a tractor. Keeping the grass down gives snakes less space to hide, so it's easier for you to see them and avoid them.

Quoting: optimistic
Is it possible to keep a pond and not worry about encountering a snake in/around it?

In some ways this is a question for you- are you able to not worry despite their presence? Don't mean to be rude- but they are not the threat some people perceive them to be. But, well, some people just have a reaction to snakes, I don't know what to do with that. I personally think they are cute.

Kudzu
# Posted: 23 Jul 2014 17:26

If you would take the time to educate yourself about the different type of snakes in your area, I think you would be more at ease. Get where you can positively identify a snake when you see it, most are harmless.

Brettski
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 15:24

lol....wait till ya look over from your floating raft and see a 2-1/2 foot snapper givin' ya the stink-eye.
The list of pond critters is seemingly endless. When we built ours, I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would some day be patrolling the shores with traps and dragging out drowned muskrats. It's like the Field of Dreams: build it and they will come.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.