Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Turkey Day at the cabin
darz5150
# Posted: 21 Nov 2014 21:17 - Edited by: darz5150

This afternoon I went out to grab an armload of wood for the stove, when I saw a wild turkey on the roof of my truck.. What ? I guess the turkey doesn't have a calendar ( apparently unaware Thanksgiving is less than a week away )
Anyway I started taking pictures with my phone, while trying to get my wife's attention, to get the camera, and not scare the turkey at the same time. Well the turkey wasn't scared, and decided to hang out for a half an hour or so.
I walked around taking pics and videos, the turkey walked around the cabin to the chicken coop. I tossed out some cracked corn, then she stuck around and ate with the roosters.:Anyway if we end up seeing some funky looking turkeys soon.... I'll know the roosters are doing their job... And also are either blind, or show no racial bias!!!
Picture1121141721_1..jpg
Picture1121141721_1..jpg
Picture1121141651_1..jpg
Picture1121141651_1..jpg
Picture1121141637_1..jpg
Picture1121141637_1..jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Nov 2014 22:50

Make a cool pet.

Is it still hanging around?

darz5150
# Posted: 21 Nov 2014 23:21

I guess I will see tomorrow if it comes back.At first when it was hanging around we wondered if it was someone's pet, but when it finally took off, it flew about 75 feet, over the creek, up in a tree, about 30 feet off the ground, so its wings weren't clipped. So I assume its not someone's pet. The whole encounter was totally weird. I have never gotten that close to a turkey before. ( alive anyway ) Even deer hunting, normally they are farther away. At first I thought the roosters and turkey were going to fight, but after they first saw each other, the roosters flared up, then it was like...OK... Its all good. It climbed all over the cabin roof and we got other pics only a couple feet away from it.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 22 Nov 2014 12:08

Off top from the turkey, which is cool, I love your stone walk way. Nicely done.

darz5150
# Posted: 22 Nov 2014 15:25 - Edited by: darz5150

Quoting: skootamattaschmidty
I love your stone walk way.

I am glad you like it. Thanks
Well the turkey returned this morning. I was trying to sleep in, when I heard a noise on the roof, ( its too soon for Santa ) so I figured it was the turkey. No big deal until it started running from one side of the cabin, up the peak, then down the other side! It sounded like a 12 pound bowling ball, with ice cleats attached! Sooooo no more sleeping late.
Any way, it has hung around all day, mainly on my truck, scratching and leaving the occasional pile of crap!
Yesterday, as someone mentioned, that it would make a good pet. Today, I'm not so sure.LOL
Picture1122141429_1..jpg
Picture1122141429_1..jpg

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Nov 2014 19:08 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

this late in the fall she should be with rest of the flock

wonder where the rest of the flock is??

cool pic's!!!

...you keep the scratch feed she will hang around for sure

I saw about 25 in a flock at my camp yestrday

darz5150
# Posted: 22 Nov 2014 20:47

Quoting: turkeyhunter

wonder where the rest of the flock is??

They have been logging the property on top of the hills next to us. All I can figure is somehow she got separated from the rest. Its unreal that she shows absolutely no fear at all of us. Today I probably had to nudge her off of my truck at least a dozen times. I'd swoosh her off with a broom, go and start doing something, then she'd be right back on the truck or just hangin around. She got on the roof and watched me split wood for about 10 minutes or so.
I have lived out here for about 8 years, so all the wildlife knows we're here.
I guess she figured its safer hangin around a dozen chickens and a couple of rednecks than dealing with chainsaws and skidloaders!!LOL

neb
# Posted: 23 Nov 2014 09:53

Quoting: turkeyhunter
...you keep the scratch feed she will hang around for sure

True and you might get more as time goes on. Not sure what part of the country you are in but in northern parts of US they will be there all winter then leave as spring and summer rolls around. A free meal they will never turn down.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.