Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Ground hog day today
old243
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 10:59

Today being ground hog day , it is said that if he or she emerge from hibernation and see their shadow , there will be 6 more weeks of winter.
Our local ground hog , Wiarton Willy ,emerged this morning and didn't see his shadow. Seeing as how it was snowing hard at the time , I'm not surprised. A couple of others in different areas did see there's so not sure who was right.
Temp is about 10 F and sunny now . old243

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 12:16

down here in the SOUTH~~~ he did not see his shadow..
early spring ahead

....the lesser sandhill cranes were headed north yesterday...maybe they know something we don't!!!

daffodils are getting ready to bloom....saw some up at a old home place on my hunting grounds yesterday...they will be blooming soon

Salty Craig
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 16:50

The one in Pennsylvania bit the Mayors ear!! Lol

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 20:35

Didnt Deblasio drop the one last year and it killed him? Maybe the bite was revenge.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 13:15 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

EARLY SPRING IN THE FORECAST!!!!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/02/465253970/groundhog-day-punxsutawne y-phil-did-not-see-his-shadow

Interpreting Phil's behavior, the Groundhog Club emcee proclaimed, "There is no shadow to be cast! An early spring is my forecast!"

He added, "Take your jackets off, you're not going to need them!"

Just
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 17:06

we had sun this morning I was in the bush taping maple trees .
there must have been 500 swans fly over going north they were singing their song of spring . There was a bit of sap running" WE will see soon enough".

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 19:59

Quoting: Just
500 swans fly over

had the lesser sand hill cranes flying north today....

old243
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 11:03

Our Ontario groundhog Wiarton Willie, did see his shadow, so it was proclaimed that we would have 6 more weeks of winter. We have had a very mild winter , very little snow . We are in a snow belt area. Major thaw and rain. Likely lots of time for winter yet.old243

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 13:27

This is making the rounds down here.
Florida ground hog
Florida ground hog

NorthRick
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 13:57

Six more weeks of winter is pretty much a given up here. But most of us want it that way. Days are getting longer and the seasonal weather pattern usually includes more sunny days than cloudy for the rest of the winter. March is my favorite month in Alaska.

old243
# Posted: 5 Feb 2016 17:15

Rick, How many hours of daylight do you get at this time of year. We are 7.am to5.30 pm, now. and getting longer.old243

NorthRick
# Posted: 5 Feb 2016 17:24

Official sunrise today was 09:11 and sunset is 05:19, so a few minutes over 8 hrs. However, if it isn't overcast we'll have light for over half an hour on either side of sunrise/sunset.

The other nice thing is that the rate at which our days are getting longer is increasing too. Right now we're gaining light at the rate of 5m 25s per day. I'm in Anchorage, 61 degrees north.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.