Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Geese
hueyjazz
# Posted: 16 Mar 2016 12:51

So year after year a pair of geese come to the 1/2 acre pond next to our cabin. Our pond has an interesting feature this pair loves. We have a peninsula that protrudes out into the pond. Ma makes her nest on the tip of the peninsula and pa sits on the opposite bank with a full 360 view of anything coming. The trend has been ma lays eggs, hatches them and then ma and pa take a victory lap around the pond. They take their young and we see nothing until the next spring. I'm pretty sure this is the same pair as our dogs, the wife and myself are of no concern to them. previous years I would bring ma corn so they are quite accepting of me to a point.

Well this year all looks to be the same except the geese have a pair of mallard ducks with them scoping out the pond. The mallards are in close proximity of the geese circling the pond quacking away. The geese are silent until another pair of geese start eyeing the pond from the sky. The male goose gets down right violent and chases them away.

So what we conclude from this is that the ducks are real estate agents selling our pond to the geese and this pair has first dibs on the property.
IMG_06421.JPG
IMG_06421.JPG

hattie
# Posted: 16 Mar 2016 12:57

You may be right about those ducks.

We have geese on our river here (they enjoy the local ranch pastures). We really like to watch them "shoot the rapids" in the river with their babies. The parents are so careful to supervise them and help them out when needed. I don't really know why they do it other than it is fun for them.

bldginsp
# Posted: 16 Mar 2016 13:06

Gotta watch out for those ducky real estate agents. They'll do anything to get a fee.

Jebediah
# Posted: 17 Mar 2016 07:09 - Edited by: Jebediah

Everyone's cohabitating for a good reason, predation. Your dogs will definitely help out in keeping some animals away. Geese will keep the foxes, racoons etc. at bay and the mallards will quickly alert to any sky borne predators. The eagles on my lake are always trying to snatch a duck or a duckling. Usually most pairs of nesting ducks will lose 1-3 ducklings by the end of the summer due to predation and disease.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.