Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Fruit Trees that are shade tolerent
tverga
# Posted: 22 Apr 2016 10:00

Hey All,
I am on the hunt for fruit trees and shrubs that will grow in a woodland forest. We have fairly large trees and the canopy starts at about 50 feet. I was wondering if anyone has gotten edible fruits to grow in this environment. I would love to have some apples, pears and whatever else will grow and fruit. I understand that most fruit trees will flourish but never fruit in this type of an environment.

Tony

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 Apr 2016 10:15

I can't name any specific ones as such but you may want to look into the Perma-Culture & Forest-Culture sites to get specific types relative to your Zone.

I'm in Zone 4a and while entirely unintentional (thanks to deer deposits) I have Apple trees growing in my mixed forest and they do produce apples. These have just grown where the deer droppings landed over the years and have never been tended to, although I will be pruning a couple closer to my cabin to increase their production.

Certain Nut trees can do well in a typical forest but again this depends on your Zone & Soil conditions and what neighbouring trees there are... for instance evergreen forests tend to have more acidic soil PH than deciduous forests and where mixed forests tend to be generally more neutral PH.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 22 Apr 2016 11:52

One of the perks of my marriage is I married into a large fruit farm. Mostly apples but many varieties. Being an apple cider junkie this is very convenient. Sweet and hard cider comes easy. Basic deal with the cider mill is you bring them two crates to press. One for you and one for them.

I know just enough about fruit trees to be dangerous. Growing the tree is only one part of getting fruit. You need to pollinate the trees. Then there's a host of diseases and blights you have to contend with.
You might get fruit but edible fruit may be another matter. If you get fruit you will also likely get wasps.

I grow raspberries, blackberries and have just started to grow grapes. All are doing very well in my Upstate NY environment.
Pancakes have never been better. May start some blueberries next.

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Apr 2016 14:25

Hazelnuts are tolerant of some shade and not picky about soil. I haven't tried them yet but I hope to

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 23 Apr 2016 05:10

Pawpaw fruit trees are tolerant of shade... And they are delicious.

They do need loamy soil, with lots of water... Thus they tend to grow next to creeks/rivers. We probably have 50+ of these trees.

Young trees need shade to survive, but mature trees do produce more fruit if they can reach direct sunlight.

What zone do you live in?

tverga
# Posted: 25 Apr 2016 13:37

Quoting: RichInTheUSA
What zone do you live in?

5A Northwest Indiana...

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 25 Apr 2016 14:30

Looks like they will grow in zone 5a.

http://www.blossomnursery.com/pawpaw_HABITAT.html

tverga
# Posted: 27 Apr 2016 13:31

I have seen these growing on the side of the road, I just assumed they are not fit to eat. I guess I will be planting some PawPaw!

I would like some variety, are there any apple or pear that will grow in a woodland setting?

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 27 Apr 2016 16:18

Tverga, they only taste good when ripe, which is generally in August.

Each fruit lasts about a week. This is why you don't see them in grocery stores.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.