Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Got mushrooms, feeling hungry...
CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 8 Oct 2016 10:21

We have quite a few of these at our cabin this weekend.
Are these mushroom safe to eat?
IMAG0010.jpg
IMAG0010.jpg
IMAG0009.jpg
IMAG0009.jpg

naturelover66
# Posted: 8 Oct 2016 16:41 - Edited by: naturelover66

No. I would never consume a wild mushroom. Too many are toxic... I wanna keep the liver i have.

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Oct 2016 20:53 - Edited by: bldginsp

Experienced mushroom collectors claim that if you know what you are doing there is no chance of eating a poisonous one. Maybe so. But I wouldn't start eating mushrooms based on advice that comes from looking at photos.

Join your local mushroom club and learn from the members who have been doing this for years in your specific area with the species that grow there.

Some poisonous mushrooms look very similar to edible ones. 6000 people a year get sick due to mushroom misidentification. The following article has a lot of good info, one thing they say is that in the US there are increasing incidents of immigrants getting poisoned by mushrooms here that look like the species they ate back home.

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/stories/wild-mushrooms-what-to -eat-what-to-avoid

Salty Craig
# Posted: 9 Oct 2016 13:04

naturelover66
You are missing out on the finer things in life. Are you opposed to the harvesting or do you not like mushrooms?

CabinBuilder
I'm no expert. Take the advise of a well seasoned mushroom eater. Take no advise from a novice.

Mushrooms are a delicacy from nature. If they do not have a milky colored juice then stay away. There's other rules but I don't know them all.
Be safe.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 10 Oct 2016 13:20

All good advice above...

Before I eat wild foraged mushrooms (and I've only eaten Morels)... I check the facebook group "Mushroom Identification Forum" which has over 70K people in the group, with many active experts.

I also generally do a google search too based on the scientific name... can't be too careful.

tfsimmons
# Posted: 10 Oct 2016 16:01

I love to collect and eat mushrooms, but consider myself a beginner.
I have reference books and use the internet and a few websites to help identify mushrooms I find. I am very careful to make a positive identification before I will taste a small bite of a new one. If all goes well, I will eat some more a day or two later.
But there are at least a half dozen edible mushrooms that are super easy to identify and once you know their properties, are very safe to recognize and harvest. But some edibles have poisonous look-a-likes too. I can recognize and eat seven or eight edible mushrooms now, but I always double check.
I have found edible mushrooms as well as deadly mushrooms (lookup Destroying Angel) in my own backyard lawn.
There is a saying:
"There are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters. But there are no old, bold mushroom hunters."
Just get a book or two and go slow and it can be a lot of fun (and delicious).

KinAlberta
# Posted: 13 Oct 2016 23:26 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Yesterdays news. Literally, yesterday:

3-year-old Victoria boy dies from poisonous 'death cap' mushroom
Boy was foraging for wild mushrooms with his family last week in downtown Victoria, say officials
By Lisa Johnson, CBC News Oct 12, 2016

Excerpt:
The death cap contains a number of toxins, including amatoxin, which are not destroyed by cooking.

"This is what makes this mushroom so … scary," said Stanwick. "Even if you cook it, it will still have the potential to be deadly."

It's not been made public how much mushroom the boy ate, or in what form. One cap can be enough to kill an adult, usually through liver failure.

... they do look a lot like the paddy straw mushroom, a popular Asian edible mushroom.

Very young death caps have also been confused for puffball mushrooms, said Kroeger.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/death-cap-mushroom-victoria-boy-poison ed-1.3802245

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 16 Oct 2016 16:43 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Ok, I guess i't not worth the risk, unless I do a really hands-on research, i.e. joining the club, etc.

Thanks for all the info.
At least no one wants me dead...

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Oct 2016 00:50

Ah, no, Cabinbuilder. Please check your cholesterol regularly, reduce your sugar intake, get plenty of exercise, never eat unfamiliar mushrooms, and make sure the bandwidth fees are paid.

Thanks

deercula
# Posted: 18 Oct 2016 00:55 - Edited by: deercula

What is this thing? [/URL]

deercula
# Posted: 18 Oct 2016 01:39 - Edited by: deercula

NO, I did NOT eat it...... [/URL]

Salty Craig
# Posted: 18 Oct 2016 09:01

deercula

LOL looks like death on a stick....

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 21 Oct 2016 14:41

Just
# Posted: 23 Oct 2016 10:22

I found this one last week near Canarvan Ont.Can. while hunting moose. It could whin the prize for best looklng but I have know idea if its editable! !!
pink
pink

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Oct 2016 10:41 - Edited by: bldginsp

Snowflower. It's edible, but rare and protected so shouldn't be eaten. Native to California Sierra mountains, above 4000 feet. The Indians powdered it's stalk and used it to assuage toothaches and other mouth pains.
Cabin_514_008.jpg
Cabin_514_008.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 23 Oct 2016 11:29

CB, I get wild mushrooms like that at my place. I usually go with a 5 iron.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.