Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Lord of the flies
Wilbour
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 08:02

I must have killed a bizillion house flies this weekend. They have been dormant in the colder weather and by heating up the cabin they keep popping up. Aside from fly paper which has limited results I'm left with just smacking them with a fly swatter. Thus is farm land but I don't have any exposed food ect.

It's a little creepy

beachman
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 09:15

Ever hear of spontaneous generation?

kittysmitty
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 15:52

Not really sure if this is working, however, we had a lot of flies at the camp. They would fall off those sticky strips when the wood stove warmed thing up. Put one of these up, inside, and no longer have an issue. They say wasps are natural enemies to your common house fly.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bee-free-natural-wasp-deterrent-2-pk-0593500p.html# srp

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 19:38

They are probably cluster flies, not house flies. Google them. Not a lot you can do.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 13 Nov 2017 22:20

Hi Wilbour,
We had a cluster fly problem at camp in our loft window.
Arriving for the season each year just to find hundreds of dead flies around the window and on the track. Yuck!
I tried fly paper. But that can only hold so many fly bodies.
I found this fly trap and put it in the window in the fall of 2016.
Upon arrival for the season I found it half full of dead flies and not one dead fly outside the trap!
https://powdertrap.com/

justins7
# Posted: 14 Nov 2017 16:00

It seems like there are many more flies around than usual. I think it does have something to do with rising temperatures last year. (I'm in upstate NY)

Wilbour
# Posted: 14 Nov 2017 16:05

$100 for a set of 5? Wow not cheap!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 15 Nov 2017 19:56

The link I posted explains the product.
I did not purchase five of them because I was not sure it would work.
I bought one at a local hardware store for $24.
The $24 was imo worth every penny.

jwb
# Posted: 16 Nov 2017 16:49

I remember when I was a kid we would sweep all the “dead” flies up (mostly on the window sills) before heating the cabin up, and toss them in the wood stove before lighting. When they warmed up, they’d come back to life and buzz around in there ... until the buzzing stopped 🙂

creeky
# Posted: 16 Nov 2017 18:25

I've started saving my eggshells. I think I can make that lightweight powder myself.

smile.

My favorite was the double sided tape on the back of my "bike helmet." We'd mountain bike through the hills and go through these deer fly infested clearings. Nothing like listening to the wee little critters buzzing helplessly glued to the back of one's head.

Wilbour
# Posted: 17 Nov 2017 03:02

Quoting: silverwaterlady
I bought one at a local hardware store for $24.The $24 was imo worth every penny.

Yup, Home Hardware carries them but they are out of stock.

Good news is Lee Valley sells them for $20.

I just may pick up a couple.

Thanks SWL!

ColdFlame
# Posted: 17 Nov 2017 11:12

I'm going to have to give these a try as well - but, like Creeky, I think I'll save the eggshells from my chickens for a while and attempt to make the powder myself. I wonder what their attractant is to have them go to the powder in the first place.... hmm..

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 17 Nov 2017 12:39

YW Wilbour.

ColdFlame,
I noticed a pleasant odor coming from the eggs shells, a vanilla/rice pudding smell.
I'm sure something was added to attract the flies.

Wilbour
# Posted: 17 Sep 2018 00:46

Concerning the flies...

I now pretty much keep the screens open all day long. Most of my annoying bugs fly in and immediately want to fly out.

In the evening I start closing up all the screens and using the screen door.

Pretty much an open door policy during the day. The worst is the two windows in my loft.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.