Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Horses anyone?
Borrego
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 18:35 - Edited by: Borrego

Naturelover asked about horses in a different thread so I thought I'd get a conversation going...
"Borrego- you have horses?
I have a 20 yr old arab mare and a 14 yr old paint gelding.
I just had a barn built up at he cabin property to hopefully semi retire there in a few years. Life is good with horses..."

Yes we have 2 also...a 22 yr old quarterhorse gelding and a 15 yr old mustang mare. I have plans to build a corral out at the cabin and take them out (also when we retire in a couple years

A 'bucket list' of mine is to ride the couple miles over to the old 1848 Butterfield Stage Route/Immigrant Trail and follow it for a while, maybe even camp out at one of the old stage stops....... we were on a Jeep ride a couple years ago and saw 2 couples on horseback, all dressed up cowboy-like headed out with a pack mule all loaded up...looked like so much fun and what an experience to ride a trail our ancestors came out west on.......

What are the trails like out by your cabin?
Me and Baker
Me and Baker
Tulsa
Tulsa

naturelover66
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 18:40 - Edited by: naturelover66

Baker and Tulsa are beautiful. Thanks for showing them off! Im working on my horse fencing at the cabin every weekend i get up there.
Belle and i
Belle and i
Dakota
Dakota
Horse fence posts near driveway
Horse fence posts near driveway

Borrego
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 18:45

Nice! You've got good pasture there....we only have dirt at our ranch and then sand at the desert....but they love their alfalfa and bermuda....plus blue dot and treats...Momma spoils them!

Picture of your barn?

naturelover66
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 18:49

I only have 5 acres with the cabin so i reseeded it with orchardgrass and alfalfa to get it established. I do need to figure out a building for hay shelter for thr day we move there permanently. Theyre currently boarded at a nice small 40 acre family farm 45 minutes from our house. I do tell them often how wonderful living up at the cabin in NW michigan will someday be. I grew up a horse fanatic but was only able to adopt my first horse 6 yrs ago. A dream come true. Life with horses is a good life for sure.
Belle
Belle
20170827_113259.jpg
20170827_113259.jpg

naturelover66
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 19:03 - Edited by: naturelover66

Its a 3 sided run in shelter barn
Thats what they live with now. My gelding Dakota is blind. I heard about him being roughed up at another farm an hour away and brought him home. The previous owner didnt treat his equine uvitis which led to permanent blindness in both eyes. I tried everything to save his sight. ... To no avail. Hes adjusted but eont tolerate a stall and barn. Hes stressed out in enclosed spaces. He will always be safe with me forever. Hes adjusted and is a sweet boy.
Run in barn
Run in barn
Cabin and Cooper our lab
Cabin and Cooper our lab
Garage/ shed for stoage and tack up at the cabin.
Garage/ shed for stoage and tack up at the cabin.
Vabin part of pasture.
Vabin part of pasture.

naturelover66
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 19:10

I think your bucket list ride sounds great!! We only live once . Tack em up and go!
Ive never ridden or worked with a mustang.....hes gorgeous.

naturelover66
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 19:12

I know Rayyy had horses.

Borrego
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 19:44

Awesome pics....you look good on a horse! My wife used to ride when she was a teenager (even barrel-raced) then got away from it. We moved from the city to a more rural area and were finally able to get horse again.....she is so happy and loves just taking care of them......

Maybe we're the only horse people on here any more...

Do you ever watch a channel on youtube called 'Think Like A Horse'. The guy goes on a bit, but is a really good horseman, and takes good care of his horses.....he is funny to watch....

naturelover66
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 20:11

Yes!! His name is Rick Gore. Hes a talker. I also watch Julie Goodnight... And some australian guy i cant remember offhand. Horseforum is great and i support and follow alot of rescues.
Half the fun is caring for an loving the animal.

razmichael
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 21:10

My wife and I met riding at the barn where we each had a horse. We rode them to our wedding reception and galloped around the field where the reception tent was. We moved to the country with the main aim to have a place they could retire (at that stage I had two and she one. Both of mine have past on (one at 30) and her horse, at 31, still gallops around like a teenager. Amazing animals - hate seeing them being abused or neglected.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 21:26 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Love horses. Dont own any. But did take in 3 refugees who lost their pastureland after the Okanogan complex fire in 2015. They had lost their pasture grass and fencing from fire. I kept them over the winter on my front 20 acres which was fenced in.
fire refugees
fire refugees

naturelover66
# Posted: 30 Jun 2018 21:39

Wow razmichael- what a connection you and your wife have to horses. Horses helped you find eachother.

Toyota i remember you posting about your visiting horses. Theyre lucky to have you.

Theyre amazingly intelligent emotional animals... Ive been madly in love with them since childhood.

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 12:05

Good stories, Raz and TMT ! Everyone should have a horse...they make great fertilizer!

Rys
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 12:14

I also have horses or I should say they have me. We have five Paso Fino mares and a mini gelding. Pasos are like potato chips- you can't have just one.
I didn't get a horse of my own till later in life-Now I Couldnt imagine not having one!
We are just now getting ready to start our cabin. Hoping to move some of my girls to our property this summer.
Two have to stay at our current house because of health reasons. One has been foundered and the other one would with unlimited grass.

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 12:34

Boy Rys, are you in trouble! 6? Jeez....I know what ya mean though. Are you going to build a stable/corrals/barn out at your cabin location? and where is the cabin? Good riding areas around?

We got both of our guys as rescues so they were 'Free'.....hahahahahahahahaha.....no such thing as a free horse!

My wife had a horse when younger from the Poco Bueno line....

Rys
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 15:08

My heart horse was a little mare with Poco Bueno in her breeding. Best little horse ever!
We're in TN. Lots of wonderful places to ride locally + my nieghbors and I have several hundred acres of land with logging roads through them.
Going to build a couple of run in sheds and fence an area for right now.
Several of our girls are rescues as well.

naturelover66
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 15:19

Nice. Pasos are gaited arent they? Ive never ridden a gaited horse. You have alot of mouths to feed. Up hete in Michigan a nice square bale of orchardgrass and timothy mic runs around 5.00 for a 70 lb bale.
We have nice pastures tho. Hay season is in full swing. Tenessee is beautiful horse country.
Us today in the heat.
Us today in the heat.

Rys
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 15:54

Yes. Pasos are naturally gaited.
Good hay runs five to six dollars a bale. We bale some of our own if weather/time permits. I buy the rest. My husband works full time so it doesn't always work out.

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 17:28

Five dollars???? We pay $16 per bale out in So Cal....has to be grown out in Imperial Valley and trucked into San Diego County......jeeez, another reason to leave California.....

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 17:29

Any pics, Rys?

naturelover66
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 18:22

Yes ive read about the very high cost of hay out west.

Rys
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 19:04

I'm not sure how to upload pictures?

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 19:50

Go to 'Upload file(s) at the bottom of this thread. Click that and it'll give you a menu to select a pic from your computer. You must give it a name, and then submit.....

razmichael
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 21:07

Wedding photo
Wedding
Wedding

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 21:50

Man, that is sooo great!

naturelover66
# Posted: 2 Jul 2018 06:20

Love your wedding photo!

razmichael
# Posted: 2 Jul 2018 19:25

Thanks. Over 19 yrs ago. It was 35c/95F - middle of a heat wave. Wearing a tux and riding a 1500lb horse did not really go well together. The owners of the barn we were boarding at (and having the reception at) built a paddock right beside the tent so we could “park” the horses close after a few gallops around the field. Still there today and still called the wedding paddock.

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Jul 2018 21:22

Cool story! Great idea for a wedding.....

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 5 Jul 2018 20:11

Quoting: razmichael
Wedding photo

That's a really great picture...and story.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.