Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Snakes, Love them or hate them?
<< . 1 . 2 .
SE Ohio
# Posted: 9 Jan 2019 18:58

Quoting: deercula
A friend of mine in Michigan claims to have been chased by a 5 foot long Blue Racer while he was bowhunting deer. Now he carries a pistol with snake loads along with his bow and arrows.

People can easily outrun snakes. Snakes make a lot of movement but little slither speed.

Striking speed is another story. Most snake bites are to hands. As the old adage goes, don't pet the snakes...

SE Ohio
# Posted: 9 Jan 2019 19:03

PS love snakes, hate mice. Snakes eat mice...

Hate ticks. I guess snakes eat mice that have ticks? 🤔

Malamute
# Posted: 9 Jan 2019 21:28 - Edited by: Malamute

I have no problem with bull snakes or other snakes, but rattlesnakes get no mercy anywhere near the home place or places I frequent with my dogs. Ive had one IN the house, a dog bit in the face in the yard (she was very sick for about a week after a visit to the vet and IV fluids and anti-inflamatories) almost stepped on many, stepped over some unknowingly, had two under the bottom porch step which I discovered in the dark as i came home, a number in the yard and close by, and 2 or 3 come out from under my vehicle.

Bullets, birdshot loads, rocks, shovels, tapping a Winchester carbine butt on the head, theres many ways to end them. Im happy to let the bull snakes take over whatever mouse duties the potential loss was, Ill also use mouse traps. I dislike rattlesnakes greatly.

Planning on installing snake lights under the vehicle when I end up back in Az. They are commonly called rock lights, but should work well as snake lights.

neb
# Posted: 3 Feb 2019 17:14 - Edited by: neb

^ I'm with Malamute I have many bulls around and I love them on my place. I actually am disappointed if I don't see them once in a while. I don't have a mouse problem and they are my friends. Rattle snakes I have lived around them all my life and I have no problem with them, except I wouldn't want them living near my cabin.

redneckpaul
# Posted: 3 Feb 2019 17:28

This may sound crazy but I have snake dreams, where ever I go there is snakes and I can`t get away from them. I don`t like snakes they give me the creeps. I despise rattlesnakes, if I see a rattlesnake I kill it. I leave other snakes alone as long as they stay away from the cabin.

NT5224
# Posted: 16 Mar 2019 23:32

Snakes?

As a cabin dweller in the monsoonal tropics of remote north Australia, they’re part of our local landscape both within and without the house. I guess we interact with them daily. Some are real nasties ( taipan anyone?) but mainly big old pythons. Beautiful, they just want to give you a squeeze, but don’t let them into the chook pen or onto your dog...

Both my wife and I love ‘our’ snakes... wouldn’t live without them. But we treat them with respect.

Alan

justincasei812
# Posted: 19 Mar 2019 15:12

I personally have never been a real big fan of snakes but I try to leave them be. Most if not all snakes we come across here in Michigan are good to have around. Very few people encounter the eastern massasauga rattlesnake but the funny thing is that we have had a few people bit in the last few years within the state. It just confirms they are still around and a little caution needs to be taken. All in all I wouldn't kill one just maybe move it out a little farther. We have a nest (?) or whatever it is called under our porch of gardener snakes and see them every year.

Dave1986
# Posted: 23 May 2019 04:30

I don't know what I hate more, getting up early in the morning or snakes. Not sure what will kill me first. But ugh, they're horrible! What are they for? No one will miss them if they dissapear! And as for the snakes, I'm okay with them if they stay away from me

NorthwoodsGuy
# Posted: 24 May 2019 20:01

Love 'em. Have one as a pet now, and a bunch over my lifetime. I mean, where we are, there are no venomous snakes, but I've spent time around copperheads and rattlers, and I've generally found if you keep outa their way you are alright. Might feel differently if I lived in the dessert or the outback...

MerrySweet94
# Posted: 3 Jun 2020 08:49

Since childhood, I was addicted to snakes. I find out about snakes when I was 5 years old from a book of pictures. Then I had those painting books where you have to color with pencils different animals. Again, snakes were my favorite animals to draw. I started to ask my parents about these creatures. I remember like today how my parents presented me snakes from a negative side. They haven’t told me that there are domestic snakes which don’t present any danger to human beings. When I was 6 years old I remember how we went to the Zoo, and there I saw for the first time a huge Anaconda. I wasn’t scared as other kids. I kept looking straight into her eyes making her mad and furious. Now I’m a grown up, but my admiration to snakes hasn’t disappeared. I’m looking to buy in the near future two domestic snakes, but can’t choose which one from the list on petsoid.com.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 3 Jun 2020 11:25

All I know of living around here is the Garter snake. They are rather cute.

Existing drug may help save snakebite victims
May 07, 2020
https://newatlas.com/medical/dmps-snakebite-victims/

Alberta snake enthusiasts thrilled by encounter with 'extremely docile' bullsnake | CBC News
May 30, 2020
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-snake-enthusiasts-thrilled-by-encount er-with-extremely-docile-bullsnake-1.5588467

KinAlberta
# Posted: 3 Jun 2020 11:31

Quoting: Absolutely

Our island is in eastern Ontario and we get many snakes - including black rat snakes that look like water intake pipes. I have a complete "live and let live" philosophy at the cottage - I don't interfere with anything unless they start negatively affecting a structure. They're there 12 months a year so it belongs to them more than it does to me.

We try to be like that too. If we wanted an urbanized place we could Just stay in the city.

Except for the wasps and hornets. A topic for another thread!

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 3 Jun 2020 11:39

I took this nice snake picture at my cabin a couple of weeks ago (central Ontario).
Snake
Snake

SE Ohio
# Posted: 3 Jun 2020 20:56

Like ‘em. Here is a rat snake that has recently eaten, and still hungry... It also has an unusual light brown patch
Black rat snake
Black rat snake

deercula
# Posted: 4 Jun 2020 04:40 - Edited by: deercula

I bought some "Snake Away" at Lowe's. No more snakes, Woo Hoo

Absolutely
# Posted: 4 Jun 2020 11:30

Speaking of snakes, I went to the island on Friday to get everything set up. I installed the foot valve on the end of the black plastic intake pipe and put it in the lake. I primed the pump but for the life of me I couldn't get it to pump. After trying everything, and googling, I decided to take it all apart and look inside. I saw *something* so I fashioned a hook tool. This is what I pulled out of the jet pump suction. Pump worked fine after that.
Snake pulled from Jet Pump
Snake pulled from Jet Pump

FishHog
# Posted: 4 Jun 2020 12:29

In my mind that is the best kind of snake right there. Northern Water Snake from the looks of it. Harmless but I'm not a fan of swimming with snakes and my wife would be terrified. She has yet to see one at our cottage, but I've often employed the "look over there" tactic so she doesn't.

I'm hoping to keep it that way.

jsahara24
# Posted: 4 Jun 2020 14:02

I went out to my tractor the other day, went to unscrew the fuel cap and saw movement and jumped back.....so I opened up the hood and left, came back later and found these two snakes.....i am estimating a minimum of 5' long.....good times, don't want to kill them but also don't want them living there!
snakes_on_a_tractor..jpg
snakes_on_a_tractor..jpg

SE Ohio
# Posted: 5 Jun 2020 10:28 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Those snakes pictured eat the wire-chewing vermin, possibly saving you money. They smell a mouse problem (nest?) in your tractor.

My van had $400 (USD) chewed wire repair recently due to lack of snakes...

SE Ohio

NorthwoodsGuy
# Posted: 6 Jul 2020 00:05 - Edited by: NorthwoodsGuy

Quoting: SE Ohio
Those snakes pictured eat the wire-chewing vermin

Yep! And just pick them up- they generally don't bite (assuming you know they aren't venomous- if you live in an area with venomous snakes, learn to ID them) . If you are afraid, poke 'em with a stick. They will slither away. Snakes have body language that is pretty easy to read.

jsahara24
# Posted: 6 Jul 2020 08:55

Quoting: SE Ohio
Those snakes pictured eat the wire-chewing vermin, possibly saving you money. They smell a mouse problem (nest?) in your tractor.

Certainly possible, I didn't bother them as i've always heard they are good to have around for that reason....

Quoting: NorthwoodsGuy
Yep! And just pick them up- they generally don't bite

i'm definitely not into picking up snakes, but its my understanding they are black snakes which are not venomous....however i'll err on the side of caution...haha..

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.