Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / march 19 full moon
larry
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 23:21

how many people are going to their cabin on the 19th ? it will be a full moon and the moon will be the closest it has been in 18 years. at just over 221,000 miles it will be spectacular.

bugs
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 09:17 - Edited by: bugs

Will have to check it out.

From a stargazer stand point the full moon isn't usually the greatest to look at cause there are no shadows (altho the rays are neat) so the mountains and craters don't show up as well as when the moon is in other phases save the new moon. When it is a new moon amateur astronomers and stargazers turn their attention to deep sky things like nebulae, clusters and galaxies far far away.

But a full moon is great for "pitchin a little woo" maybe.lol With all the friggin snow we have it will be bright as day if there are clear skies.

hattie
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:17

Thanks for the heads up larry....Hubby said that when there is a full moon at the same time the moon is close, it has more gravitational pull on the earth. That means higher and lower tides and a greater chance of earthquakes.

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 20:47

I just read an article regarding seismic activity and what people call the "Supermoon". Very interesting.
Seismologists say within days of the Supermoon volcanic eruptions and earthquakes are more frequent.
I need to drag the telescope out of our basement and hope for clear skies next saturday i guess.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Mar 2011 22:23

wish i was at my cabin for that one!!

larry
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 21:54

i just thought it would be awesome to the naked eye if the skies cooperated

Rob_O
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 00:32

If the weather cooperates, I will be out at my property this weekend. Current weather reports are calling for partly cloudy conditions

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 01:41

seeing that mega moon tonite sure has visions in my head of our cabin sky.i wish i was there even if it is colder than cold.the snow would be so lit up,the moon blazing and so cold and so still and beautiful.so love it up there.maybe in april we will head down that way.sure wish i could stay and never come back.
even if we were not outside alot up at the cabin in the cold nite-we would be able to see the moon and moon lite thru the windows.it would be so alive and so magical.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.