Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / I Hate Beavers
razmichael
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:19

We headed up to the cabin for the Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend and found that the beavers had decided our dock would make a nice frame for a lodge (smart on their part - a pain on our part). Instead of relaxing we spent most of the time removing the hundreds of pounds of branches, mud etc. Naturally they returned to try again! Got woken up twice one night as they took down trees near the cabin.

There has always been a lodge in a nearby empty cove but this is new. Same thing going on at the other end of the lake and locals say they have never seen it.

I was able to "remove" a couple but not likely enough to discourage future attempts (problem this time of year is it is dark by the time they return).

Although we closed the cabin for the season I'll need to head back up to check - if back, I'll contact a trapper and try to get rid of the ones in our cove. next year I'll focus on getting rid of the others.
Beavers1
Beavers1
Beaver2
Beaver2
Beavers3
Beavers3
Beavers4
Beavers4

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:22

Pest, but they sure are hard workers. Got to give them that.

Steve_S
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:28

Try wrapping barbed wire and / or chicken wire around the base of the trees near your cabin, would not want them to drop trees on your place. The trapping part could get you into trouble, depending on where you are and the laws, rules & regs… better check into that first, don't need nasty fines and hostile conservation officers.

razmichael
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:39 - Edited by: razmichael

Toyota_mdt_tech - yep, I do admire their skills and determination. I'd be happy to live and let live but for where they have decided to live and damage they are doing.

Steve, I have previously wrapped many of the trees but really needed to redo some as the trees grow. Also a problem in winter as the snow builds up and they can reach higher. I'm not too fussed about a few trees as these are mostly popular and grow like weeds. I've wrapped the ones close to the cabin.

No issues with trapping (I'd bring in a licensed trapper) nor shooting in my area (I checked with the municipality). Only caveat was "try not to leave the carcass in the lake". Tricky this time of year as it is dark when they return each evening from wherever they spend the day.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 12:21

We to had a beaver problem which mostly started as one cabin owner treating them like pets. the decimated a lot of trees. It got to the point where we had to carry a chainsaw in truck just to clear the tree they dropped across the road of the wood lane leading to the cabins

I got the last word though. I bought the property from the errant owner and took care of the issue.
Or I should say, my dogs did.
They didn't attack the beaver that I know of but they sure did enjoy swimming in his pond. The beavers moved on. Or at least I think that's what happened. The dogs never talked about it.

FishHog
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 13:08

sorry to laugh, but I had to laugh at your pictures. I've been battling beavers all my life. Love having them around, until there is too many. I've had to thin them out every couple years to keep them in check.

razmichael
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 13:20

Yep, that’s kinda my feeling at the moment - they need to be thinned out. The way I feel at the moment it might be a slightly more aggressive thinning out that I might have done if they stayed away from my dock!

xtolekbananx
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 15:01

A razor and shaving cream should do the trick...lol

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 22:34 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Wow. I’ve noticed the beaver have been much more active this year. What a crazy place for a beaver to build a lodge.

I spent a lot of time clearing trails this year. Starting at about the end of September they started cutting down trees. Four on one of our trails. Three fell opposite but one large tree fell on the trail.

They also cut down about six on the beach. Half of them still there. I could see in the sand where the beaver had dragged the other three into the water.

This beaver built a very elaborate dam. I could not believe it and wish I had taken a photograph. It was built over two weeks time.

A few years ago I was wading in the lake and noticed two beaver swimming toward me. They were very curious probably wondering what type of creature they had came across. It was a beautiful experience. I did not let them get to close. I slapped my hand on the water like they do as a warning. They turned around and swam away.
Oh no! Not on the trail!
Oh no! Not on the trail!
Another one
Another one
One very busy beaver
One very busy beaver
A few of the 6 trees taken on the beach
A few of the 6 trees taken on the beach

KinAlberta
# Posted: 20 Oct 2019 00:03

Cross-referencing another thread where I’d posted some links on beavers taking out dogs:

Beaver Attack??? - Small Cabin Forum
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/4_9065_0.html

razmichael
# Posted: 20 Oct 2019 08:04

I did get back up to the cabin yesterday afternoon and minimum beaver activity in our cove!! Water level has dropped a foot or so which meant a pile of branches that we had not got out last time were sticking out of the water. I did learn a few (what should have been obvious) lessons.
1. Hip waders are not any good when trying wade through deep muck and your feet keep sinking and getting stuck.
2. A canoe is not a stable choice for pulling up long branches and logs (although I did get a few loads).
3. Hip waders are no good when they fill with water after your canoe tips (see 2).
4. Damn the water is cold this time of year!

I will note there are now 4 less beavers around.

NorthRick
# Posted: 20 Oct 2019 14:41

Quoting: razmichael
2. A canoe is not a stable choice for pulling up long branches and logs (although I did get a few loads).
3. Hip waders are no good when they fill with water after your canoe tips (see 2).
4. Damn the water is cold this time of year!

Hahaha!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Oct 2019 19:11

Quoting: silverwaterlady
Wow. I’ve noticed the beaver have been much more active this year. What a crazy place for a beaver to build a lodge.

Wow SWL, that looks more like a small logging operation, look at the size of those trees too.

Eddy G
# Posted: 21 Oct 2019 19:31

Is there something you can rub or spray on that won’t hurt the tree but put a bad taste in the beavers mouth?
Enough to stop them from chewing in to the bark? I’m thinking cyan pepper, Tabasco, vinegar or something like that...

razmichael
# Posted: 21 Oct 2019 19:54

Lots of stuff that some say works and others say doesn't. I spent a few hours re-doing chicken wire around the bigger ones and those close to the cabin - this works well if you make sure you go from the base high enough that they can't go over the top (including with snow on the ground). Also sprayed coyote juice (urine) around the docks, paths they made etc. In my case the cabin is now closed up for winter so anything you put around will soon be washed away but hoping it might make them decide to move elsewhere (that and the more permanent solution).

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 21 Oct 2019 23:08

There is probably someone living up there full time in the winter that will trap beaver free of charge.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 24 Oct 2019 23:12 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I the past I’ve seen trees painted with something or other so there may be certain paints and additives that would deter beavers.

Found this:

A Safer Way to Protect Trees From Beaver Damage

“We're not typically in the business of animal management, so we've really never considered this issue before. But, recently we received an interesting message from the Senior Advisor of Wildlife Response & Policy from The Humane Society of The United States. He told us how they use ECOS Paintsmixed with sand to prevent beavers from chewing on trees. The paint is applied about two feet up the trunk of the tree, and it acts as a deterrent to the beaver.

A group of volunteers calling themselves The Beaver Backers work to prevent the culling or trapping of beavers. They say that painting the trees rather than building fences is the easiest and least harmful way to keep the beavers and the trees safe. The Grand Forks Herald reported how 30 volunteers painted about 1,300 trees in November 2015 to stop the city from trapping and removing beavers from the area. What a clever solution to help protect the beaver population while also keeping parks and private property from being damaged! “...

https://www.ecospaints.net/safer-way-to-protect-trees-from-beaver-damage

razmichael
# Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:25

I'm happy as I have all the main trees around the cabin wrapped in chicken wire (and loose enough that it should be good for a few years before fixing up). That should solve the issue of them taking down my trees (and risking anything landing on the cabin). The sandy paint is an interesting idea and might be cost effective to touch up some of the smaller or further away trees.
If they decide that my dock is not a good place to build a lodge than I'm also happy to live and let live. Not sure how my neighbors feel however! Won't know until the spring now.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:09 - Edited by: KinAlberta

In the 1970s we wrapped some trees with page wire. Even that did the trick. Did it so loosely that we’ve never touched them again.

Last year I chopped at one poplar that I’d like the beavers to take down. My hope was that the smell of cut bark might bring them to the tree. No such luck. It’s a year later and I’m still waiting. So I guess I’ll have to do it myself.

razmichael
# Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:24

When I first went on our property with a chainsaw to clear some trees, I stacked the logs for future firewood and piles the branches. Went up a couple of weeks later and thought "someone has stolen all the firewood!" Then noticed that all the branches were also gone - easy to follow the path made down to the water where the beavers dragged everything away.

morock
# Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:27

My place was decimated about threes back. Lost over 200 trees I had tied chicken wire around all the trees I wanted to keep. It wasn't what i would consider loose but probably 6 trees the beavers pulled the top of the chicken wire down till they could chew over it!! I am not kidding. This was the time of year they started and didn't end till freeze up. They moved to the other end of the lake the following year and someone down there removed all of them. I had much more free time after that.

ConnyW
# Posted: 11 Nov 2019 04:03

OH, man judging by the photos it's a mutual hatred

KinAlberta
# Posted: 14 Jul 2021 10:10

The beavers returning to the desert - BBC Future

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210713-the-beavers-returning-to-the-desert

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.