Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / The Ponds!!
BadgersHollow
# Posted: 2 May 2011 20:33

I've got 5 acres that attach to a 55 acre private common area. The common area is pretty heavily treed and has 5 or 6 little lakes. Yesterday I went up to my parcel to fall some dead timber. I worked until my back started to ache and then went fishing. Pulled several of these little brutes out of the lake. It was a great day!
brown2.jpg
brown2.jpg
brown1.jpg
brown1.jpg

Gary O
# Posted: 2 May 2011 20:58

Quoting: BadgersHollow
out of the lake

Badge
What lake?
Looks like some of the Odell brownies that cruise along the shore at dusk......

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 2 May 2011 21:03

Not Odell, even better - in my backyard! My little parcel is part of an association - together we own 55 acres. This 55 acres is a common area - with little ponds/lakes. I can literally walk from my plat and cast a rooster tail or a spinner. I haven't tried fly fishing yet, but hope to do so when it warms up a litte.

Gary O
# Posted: 2 May 2011 21:12 - Edited by: Gary O

common area - with little ponds/lakes
I'll be switched!
Well, you know browns will take flies.
Now you have a least two reasons to visit.....

unixfmike
# Posted: 2 May 2011 21:14

Those look nice!!

--MikeW

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 2 May 2011 23:04

This is one of 'the ponds'. A great fringe benefit for a cabin property - the frosting on the cake.
Grizzly.jpg
Grizzly.jpg

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 2 May 2011 23:08

I just measured my fishing pole, from the butt end to the black strip is 18 inches. Whoopee! I'm a catch and release kind of guy (typically), so maybe next time he'll be 20.

Gary O
# Posted: 2 May 2011 23:23

so maybe next time he'll be 20

Not followin' ya Badge...but then it's past my bed time.....

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 2 May 2011 23:27

I mean, I turned him loose. Now, he can grow up and get big (into the 20 inch range). Past my bed time too. Rummy from chainsaws and sleeping on a thermarest.

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 3 May 2011 00:03

Sweet fish Badger! Makes a hard days work even better to spend a little fellowship with a trout before you let 'em back into his water... thanks for sharing! ~Elk

Gary O
# Posted: 3 May 2011 20:10 - Edited by: Gary O

Permit me to obsess on those brownies, Badge, ol' neighbor, ol' pal.
The one on the left looks to be a buck and the other (smaller mouth) looks to be a hen, but hard to tell when not in spawn.
Adipose seems to be totally intact, but do you know if they are planters?
Maybe 3-5 yrs old, depending on habitat/food.
What feeds your ponds/lakes?
Got creeks/springs?

larry
# Posted: 3 May 2011 21:29

YUM... are those ponds stocked and how deep are they?

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 3 May 2011 23:18

I don't know exactly how deep the ponds are. Deep enough to not freeze solid through a high cascade winter though. The top two were made to catch silt from the creek and could stand a dredging. They were stocked with browns about 20 years ago. From there, mother nature has been keeping it going. On Sunday night, the frogs were singing in chorus. And, there is a pretty intense summer mosquito hatch up there too - so I guess that is their menu. I'm sure the place could get fished out with intense pressure, so most of the neighbors advocate catch and release. They don't mind if 'ya keep one for the frying pan though. The common area is private property, so folks can't walk in and fish it out either. The ponds are fed by a creek - the creek is fed by 2 springs up on Mount Scott. The creek runs through my parcel - I've seen a couple little brookies in there.

Gary O
# Posted: 4 May 2011 21:43

And, there is a pretty intense summer mosquito hatch up there too - so I guess that is their menu. I'm sure the place could get fished out with intense pressure, so most of the neighbors advocate catch and release. They don't mind if 'ya keep one for the frying pan though. The common area is private property, so folks can't walk in and fish it out either

That's just plain idyllic, Badge.
Self-sustaining habitat, and full of nice resident browns.
Yeah, fishing that out would be tragic.
Great find on the location.
If it's deep enough, gotta be some hawgs in there.

Happy trails

Gary O
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 09:43 - Edited by: Gary O

"I'm going back up this Friday and staying until Monday. I tried cutting the lodgepoles into 18 foot lengths - haven't decided if I'm going to go the stick route or log. The logs are heavy as sin and it is basically just me - don't know how the homesteaders did it. It certainly isn't as easy as old Redford made it look in Jeremiah Johnson! By the way, the name is Hank - since we're practically neighbors and all."

Hey, Hank

I thought we could continue this on your thread.
If not, a new one, dedicated to your build would be pretty sweet......

Yeah, logs are heavy, and if your 'soil' (across the lane) is like ours, there would probably be settling issues after time, no matter what foundation.

I'd be interested in your design considerations..........

Keep that camera handy, neighbor.

We will hook up sometime.
Cabi and I w/be down the 24th thru the 26th to introduce Mr Well to Mr Pump, and take a serious look at Cabi's kitchen addition ground work.

Then July to dig-level-frame and defibrillate..............

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 02:36

3 more days logged up at the property, emphasis on the word log - strictly deadfall and clean-up. Boy, I have to hand it to those Axe Men - it would be tough to earn a living bucking a chainsaw everyday. I haven't even scratched the surface as far as grounds keeping up there. I'm not going for the golf course look, just trying to make a small living perimeter in my forest.

The creek is flowing great right now and the landscape is alive. I saw countless birds and deer, and even some antelope on the way in. I about have to pinch myself because I finally have a little hold on my dream. Of course, I've got a long ways to go before I'm sitting beside a cozy fire. But, I'll get there!

Reading each member's story sure helps - gives a roadmap for those of us just starting out. Cheers.
creek1.jpg
creek1.jpg
timber.jpg
timber.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 07:19

Hank,that is some pretty land.We must be on the dry side of the terrian.Across the hi-way.When we first bought our property ,there was a ditch filled with flowing mountain waters.We were thrilled cause we thought we could use it for garden.Nope!was shut off somewhere along the line.Our land is wooded and then the other half a meadow...then in the back is a pasture with cows and then the kalamth marsh.
sure do love it up there.U seem to have different trees than us.It looks like u have some alder trees.We have none of those,and that pond is wonderfully beautiful.
Oh,we have so much rotten wood and downed trees.I guess they just fall over one day .we have lots of those kinds of trees on our land.I guess the lodge pole pine have shallow tap roots and mix it with diseased trees and heavy ice load on them-they just topple over when they have had enough.we have lots of timber to cut up n burn and some to save.theres a life time of wood from what is already downed.
oh when we first went up to our property.We could not get over all the deers running along side the hi way.It was amazing.
u will get there.U will.me and Gary O are old and not in the best of shape and we just plug along.its all we can do.When we built our cabin,i can not tell u how many times we almost got killed by our own selves! your land is very wonderful.i sure do love that pond with the fish!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 08:09

bagerhollow, creek looks great..... any trout in there???

on the deadfalls..... just remember they did not all fall in one day and you sure can not clean them all up in one day. Great firewood for ya!!!!

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 11:12

Cabingal3 - I think we have the same terrain, despite being on different sides of 97. The creek just provides for a strip of greenery. I've got sagebrush and lodgepole all around me too. On each side of the creek, I've got aspen, a couple firs, and a mix of ponderosa. I love it up there.

The marsh that you border is great. My wife and I drove across military crossing through the bird refuge on Sunday. The water lillies are blooming and Thielsen, Scott, and Bailey lie in the background still frosted with snow - quite the landscape photo.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 11:16

Quoting: turkeyhunter
creek looks great..... any trout in there

There are some brookies in the creek. 400 yards downstream is a "common area" - 55 acres. "My" creek feeds 5 or 6 mini-lakes. Scroll up and you can get an idea of the brownies that I've pulled out of them! Work hard during the day and play hard in the evening!

Gary O
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 22:04

Hank
What's the fire signage?
Extreme (no pit fires), or just no burning, no chainsaws after 12 noon?
Usually 'Extreme' doesn't come about 'til July

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 23:28

Fire season began Monday, 6-20. A sign popped up on the forest service road last week. Currently, they are showing a moderate danger. I know that there are restrictions on debris burning - I don't know if that is aka for don't burn at all.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 10:53

I don't know if that is aka for don't burn at all.

Naw, pit fires are still OK
Cabi showed me it's still 'moderate' (blue)....and that's about as perfect as it can be.

Nice creek...very nice.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.