Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Bridge ideas?
chainsrgone
# Posted: 16 May 2011 11:45

Looking for some ideas...

Our original plan for the drive we're building went south and now we're trying an alternate route that would necessitate some kind of bridge to span a ditch. Since there are underground water and electric running through there, I guess my options are limited. Also, as you can see from the crude drawing, there's about a 4ft difference in elevation from one side to the other. And since we are eventually going to bring in material for building a cabin, I guess it needs to be able to handle quite a bit of weight. And, of course, I'm looking to get something done for as cheaply as possible. Any ideas thrown my way would be appreciated.
bridge.JPG
bridge.JPG

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 16 May 2011 12:16

3 or 4 used power poles( most elect. co's sell used poles $1 to 1.50 per foot for a used pole)--span across ditch, 2inch thick oak boards from saw mill ruff cut, pre drill the oak planks and use bridge nails or spikes to attach to power poles as your bridge deck............and you will have a bridge that will last for years...........

chainsrgone
# Posted: 16 May 2011 12:30

Quoting: turkeyhunter
3 or 4 used power poles( most elect. co's sell used poles $1 to 1.50 per foot for a used pole)--span across ditch

That would be great! I was looking at some 6x6's at Home Depot last night for $32!!! Even at 1.50 a ft, the poles would be $18. I'll definitely have to check into that one. Thanks.

bobrok
# Posted: 16 May 2011 13:24

Quoting: chainsrgone
6x6's at Home Depot last night for $32!!!

Hurts, doesn't it? I also considered buying them to jack a shed and instead found a place that sells new and used railroad ties, the used for about 1/2 the price of a 6x6x8.

Just
# Posted: 16 May 2011 18:35

buy a steel pipe and a load of dirt hold a 20 ton truck,last 50 years

chainsrgone
# Posted: 16 May 2011 19:18

Quoting: Just
buy a steel pipe and a load of dirt hold a 20 ton truck,last 50 years

Wouldn't the utility company have a problem with that since there are lines buried there?

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 16 May 2011 20:16

It would be easier for the utility companies to trench through a load of dirt than to remove a bridge. But check with whatever government jurisdiction owns the road before installing a culvert. They may have specific requirements to be met (both for the culvert and the access location), and will tell you if the buried utilities are an issue.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 17 May 2011 00:04

Do you want to cover a ditch between municipal road and your property?
If yes, the municipality may (should) do it for you.

chainsrgone
# Posted: 17 May 2011 08:27

Quoting: CabinBuilder
Do you want to cover a ditch between municipal road and your property?
If yes, the municipality may (should) do it for you.

Hmmmm.....never thought of that. It's definitely municipal road. Thanks, you might have just saved me quite a bunch of money and time.

TomChum
# Posted: 19 May 2011 00:13 - Edited by: TomChum

Where is your property line in the pic? I don't think you can set half a bridge on someone else's property. I guess it depends where you are, and how many other people pass by on that road.

We built a bridge, and for the abutments we used six "Jersey Barriers".

(edit-----> OOPS they are called "ECO BLOCKS" not Jersey Barriers.)

These are 2' x 2' x 3' cement blocks, that cost about $34 each. They are SOLID cement, very heavy. We placed them with an excavator, dug out some then pounded them into the ground. We did it this way because there was no way to get a cement ruck to the bridge site. It worked very well, we've driven the excavator (18,000 lb) over the bridge numerous times and it's solid.

chainsrgone
# Posted: 19 May 2011 11:44

Quoting: TomChum
Where is your property line in the pic? I don't think you can set half a bridge on someone else's property. I guess it depends where you are, and how many other people pass by on that road.

The road is an actual city road so they're the only ones I need to worry about. Although from what I hear, I may be able to get them to do it for me for the price of a tinhorn culvert. Not sure yet.

Thanks for the idea on the cement blocks but I just found out yesterday I can get the used utility poles from my local electric company for free. Can't pass that up.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.