Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / ground cover around cabin
borisvonf
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 09:08

any suggestions for ground cover around the cabin?
i am in south carolina piedmont and am surrounded by red clay that sticks to everything when wet. i am trying to avoid grass that i would have to mow. i thought about getting a wood chipper and making mulch cover with fallen limbs, etc.
any other grand ideas?
thanks again for such a great site.

Scott_T
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 12:16

If the area is primarily shaded you could plant English Ivy. If the area gets full sun all day consider planting creeping juniper. They do well in hot, dry, well drained conditions once established. They also tolerate being walked on by kids, dogs and interlopers. DIY mulch also looks great but requires more effort than mowing grass ;-). Depending on the size of the area you could meld all of these to make it quite aesthetically pleasing. Some grass, some ivy, some juniper and even let some areas regenerate naturally.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 21:41

I would avoid untreated mulch as it's very very attractive to termits.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 4 Jun 2011 07:05 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

can i send you some KUDZU seeds....:-)

on my new cabin build, after i am finished , i will spread pine straw up to the foundation.........i want no grass to cut!!!!!!!!!!!!

hattie
# Posted: 4 Jun 2011 12:09

I have to admit that I have never heard of Kudzu, so I googled it. That is freaky stuff!! I do learn a lot from this site. *S*

borisvonf
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 10:17

too much kudzu already. i have it quarantined to a 5 acre section now that i would like to eventually fence in and battle with goats. i am constantly battling outbreaks of the wicked weed. my neighbor's goats like to come visit my place. i had hoped that they would help me out with the kudzu, but they prefer to eat my dove field, planted fruit shrubs (blue,, rasp, straw and blackberries) and food plots.
it has been so dry lately that i need the ground cover to keep the dust down. solar panels completely covered and production down. i guess i need something drought resistant, able to grow in rocky red clay, easy to walk on and mud resistant. astro turf?

Scott_T
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 15:50

Kudzu is obnoxiously invasive. Sorry you have that to deal with. Mechanical removal is best solution but probably a losing battle in the end.

caveman
# Posted: 10 Jun 2011 09:30

pine needles work pretty good as a temporary cover. they don't track into the cabin too bad and are cheap, even free if you don't mind raking up yourself, but the ticks and chiggers are really bad this year

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 10 Jun 2011 10:34 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

I used wood chips at my cabin place.

You can pick them up for free in many places where trees are cleared (cut and shredded) - new construction sites, road building/maintenance, from landscaping/tree maintenance companies, etc.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Jun 2011 11:29

How about wildfire danger? Is that also a concern? If it is I would not use pine needles. They burn very well when dry. We use them for starting fires.

caveman
# Posted: 10 Jun 2011 12:34

here in SC the danger of wildfire burning a home is minimal due to the lack of large uninterupted tracts of forest. most building sites in rural areas have the advantage of roads, powerlines for firebreaks. there is always the danger of fire no matter what is on the ground as dry as this year has been, even the grass will go like gasoline right now

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.