Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Any New Englanders out there?
jlatenight
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 11:29

Hi all, First poster here. This is a very interesting forum and everyone seems extremely gracious and helpful! Some of the camps I've seen on this site are gorgeous!! I've had a dream for years now to have a camp to take the kids (2 boys; 3 and 5). We go camping a lot (LOVE the campgrounds in VT) and my boys love it. I don't really have the cash now, but if I were to seriously look for a property, I'm curious where people would suggest a good spot. I live in Easton, MA (Bristol County) and I'd want a place about 2 hrs away. It seems the best possibilities to find "cheap" (ha ha), rural, secluded, and scenic land within 2 hrs are the birshires. Maybe CT somewhere? Maybe I'd be better off going further to the Catskills? Green mountains in VT? Now we're getting into some serious driving. NH is kind of out of the question because I'd have to drive through Boston most likely on a Friday afternoon.

One other thing: my Wife's sister's family are in Rutherford, NJ and want a place too, so if I'm willing to go as far as ther Catskills, we might be able to partner-up and share a property.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice? I WILL have a camp eventually, but I have to find JUST the right spot at the right price.

97Marlin
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 15:42

Hello,

I grew up in New England, but left there due to no real job opportunities and a high cost of living. Connecticut can be expensive, but I managed to purchase land in the northwest corner at around $4,000 an acre. Given where you live, I would suggest northeastern Connecticut.

jlatenight
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 16:27

Thanks Marlin, good info. Here's what looks like a good spot in NE CT. What do you think? http://www.landsofamerica.com/america/?detail=&inv_id=975274 WHat are the building codes like in CT? What size building can you build w/o a permit? Do they have any laws against a composting toilet?

97Marlin
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 18:41

I am familiar with Chaplin, Connecticut. It is a very picturesque village and it is a very NICE town. It is very near to UConn, too, which makes it somewhat more desireable as UConn is basically the only employer in that area. 17 acres for $109,900 is still over $6000/acre, which sounds a bit high. (It MAY be fair due to the proximity of the university and the only gainful employer in an otherwise depressed area). I paid about $4,000 an acre for my land--this tract is 26 acres. With the streams and such, make sure it does not flood. I think building codes are based on the individual town and vary widely. I don't know much about composting toilets.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.